Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Material and Textures

flashawd

Hi - I have played around w/ materials a bit from my last practice model and have a basic understanding of how it works. I have a couple of questions - I need practice modelling as well so I modeled a small dinosaur which I will use to work on materials and textures.

What I am going for is for the dinosaur to have an alligator skin look - I am going to put the dinosaur in a short humerous animation - so I am not going for photorealistic, but I still want an alligator skin look. I also want to have green stripes going down his back - which is where I am getting confused. Is the skin texture (alligator look) done w/ materials and the stripes done w/ a decal? Also, I was looking into A:M Paint, and where does this program come in - does it just make the applying decals easier?

Thanks for any help clearing this up for me.

-Eric

Here is the dinosaur

imageDinosaur0001.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi - I have played around w/ materials a bit from my last practice model and have a basic understanding of how it works. I have a couple of questions - I need practice modelling as well so I modeled a small dinosaur which I will use to work on materials and textures.

What I am going for is for the dinosaur to have an alligator skin look - I am going to put the dinosaur in a short humerous animation - so I am not going for photorealistic, but I still want an alligator skin look. I also want to have green stripes going down his back - which is where I am getting confused. Is the skin texture (alligator look) done w/ materials and the stripes done w/ a decal? Also, I was looking into A:M Paint, and where does this program come in - does it just make the applying decals easier?

Thanks for any help clearing this up for me.

-Eric

Here is the dinosaur

imageDinosaur0001.jpg

I would use a patch-image for the skin... this will only work if your patches are more or less the same size. Just make a group right-click on it and select "Add Image". You will see what happens. With "Rotate Image" you can rotate the image for each patch.

The stripes should be done with a decal.

3dPainter isnt a way to apply better decals... it is a way to create decals. But you need to unwrap the model anyway, even so there is a way to unwrap it automatically.

After that, 3dPainter can give you distortionless decals and very well looking models.

*Fuchur*

Fuchur - by patch image, you are talking about applying a decal I would create to the patch correct? I know the rough skin textured look is achieved by a material - can anyone give me a link to any material turorials? I have this great one

http://www.colins-loft.net/free/mats/Demon_Skin_Material.htm

but I was hoping to start out with one a little less complicated until I get it down a bit.

Thanks