Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Materials

flashawd

Hi - I am a newbie to materials and how they work - I am looking through the tech ref and it is talking about Material Diplacement - they show 100% - 200% and it looks like actual bumps instead of just a flat surface. When I used Roughness and Roughness scale it doesn't give the bumpy look - just distorts the colors to make it look bumpy, but still has the flat look. I am not getting something here, can anyone clue me in.

Here is a great example of a "real" look to everything I am looking to learn to do courtesy of Matt W Bradbury

http://www.hash.com/users/amfeatu...pertiesRoom.jpg

Thanks - Eric

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow
I am looking through the tech ref and it is talking about Material Diplacement - they show 100% - 200% and it looks like actual bumps instead of just a flat surface. When I used Roughness and Roughness scale it doesn't give the bumpy look - just distorts the colors to make it look bumpy, but still has the flat look.

If I read your description right... You read about "Material Displacement" ("Displacement Material", really), but then instead used "Roughness"? Those are two different things.

Alright - I went back to the Tech Ref and thoroughly read through the Material Section, and yes I now see where my question was a little odd ;) - Thanks for pointing it out. I am playing around with materials a bit and starting to get it - then I'll go to the link above (thank you) and download the materials that people have created and study those.

I do have one more question - hopefully not a naive as the first one - I created a basic material and changed the displacement to 200 and the scales to 10% to give me a very bumpy look. The thing I am not getting is the color - if I don't add a diffuse color to as an attribute the material doesn't work when I render. If I add a diffuse color for example blue - the material works, but it renders as silver. If I go to the actual object and set the default color - it all works, the color and the material. How does that work... or probably more accurate - what am I doing wrong?

When you use a material as displacement, it is using the different values (light and dark) to create the displacement of the surface. So if you want to Color the object too, you either have to create a second material, set the surface color directly in the group, or use a decal.

You can add another attribute to the material, but I don't think that would let you displace AND color the material [i don't have A:M open, or I would check for you]