Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Back to basics

THS

Hello,

I teach high school multimedia and my class and I are working through the tutorials in "The Art of Animation Master". I have not used 3D software for the past 5 years, however I did teach 3D Studio Max for 6 years.

So far, we have finished exercises 1-5 and now we are starting on The Door is Stuck. The videos are very helpful and we are doing OK with the tutorials, but it seems we are getting into some very detailed concepts without a working knowledge of the basics. I think we need to go back over some basics before we continue.

My question is this - What other training materials do you recommend that will cover the basics? I feel like these tutorials are a little too difficult. I have looked at the books Hash has for sale, but I wanted an opinion before I purchased something.

When I've taught animation in the past, I have started with simple lessons to teach interface, keyframes, camera views, etc. The AM tutorials have been a challenge because if a student messes up a keyframe, I don't know how to use the timeline well enough to delete or modify that keyframe - so we start over! For example, on the "It's a Pitch" lesson, one student placed the keyframes too close together - so the movement was too fast. I did not know how to change the distance between the keyframes.

Even saving files has been a challenge - I don't think I really understand the differences between saving the project under the file menu and the project menu. We have had several projects not load - I think because we did not embed properly.

We really love the program - the students are excited and working hard! I just want to make sure I am taking the best approach.

Thanks!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow
The AM tutorials have been a challenge because if a student messes up a keyframe, I don't know how to use the timeline well enough to delete or modify that keyframe - so we start over! For example, on the "It's a Pitch" lesson, one student placed the keyframes too close together - so the movement was too fast. I did not know how to change the distance between the keyframes.

Basically you drag a selection box around them and slide them.

By coincidence I just made a small tut that addresses moving keyframes around on the timeline

PoseToPoseH.mov

(you'll need to have QT7 installed to see it)

• Admin

Congratulations on the progress of your students (and teaching!)

First let me say to Robert... OUTSTANDING VIDEO TUTORIAL!

Very very nice.

There is an important aspect to consider here for teachers.

The extent of detail in Robert's video tutorial perfectly demonstrates my point.

It primarily concerns experience level of the student and in how we can ready them for further development.

In my estimation one of the reasons you don't see a lot of timeline use in the manual is that beginners are encouraged to animate without it.

For some animations you may never even need to see the timeline.

Animating without a timeline? Craziness!!! Sure is. :)

For instance, Execise 6: 'The Door's Stuck' is a progress check where students put what they've learned up to that point into a story with a beginning, middle and end. They get to fashion a solution to the delima they find themselves (or more accurately Shaggy) to be in.

Its not as much about keyframe editing as the storytelling of it all. Its about becoming a 'thinking animator'.

Teach them this and soon they will find their way to all manner of solutions.

As demonstrated by TaoA:M keyframing itself is not too difficult for most beginners.

The difficulty is in the editing of these keyframes after they are created. Teaching them to know what to do.

For the beginner this aspect of animation may simply be too advanced.

For that you need something more (like Roberts video tutorial!)

Unlike basic straight ahead and pose to pose animation in the interface which every beginner can do with A:M almost immediately, keyframe editing and animating directly via the timeline is in the realm of the intermediate and advanced.

Can you teach it to a beginner? I'm sure you can but I wouldn't start with Exercise 6!

I don't know the age/grade level of your students but I'll assume they are up to the task.

The question then is one of "Do they need to know it now?"

If they aren't up to it yet you may want to keep them at the basic level (and animating via the interface) a little bit longer.

Consider this aspect of experience level in your planning especially if you don't know the keyframing process yourself.

Study the timeline and teach that as they rise up to that.

So can we teach animation without the timeline?

TaoA:M demonstrates we most certainly can.

If on the other hand a beginners course in 'Keyframe Editing' is desired thats something that can be developed.

Robert Holmen and others here in the forum are obviously up to that task! :)

Now as to the question at hand of how one might easily move a keyframe (via interface as opposed to the timeline).

One way would be to copy the keyframed pose in the desired location paste it where needed then go back to the unwanted keyframe and delete. All the keyframe tools they should need can be found in the drop down menu under 'Edit' on the toolbar.

You'll see the shortcut keys for each of those tools there too.

Keep asking these kinds of questions! :)

As you do you'll keep finding more solutions.

Edit: (I accidently hit 'Post' before finishing. Makes a little sense but I'll add this)

Your students will have learned up to this point how to animate straight ahead and pose to pose via the lessons in the book/video assuming you are taking them through it step by step.

Having them learn each lesson thoroughly provides the building block structure necessary to carry them through exercise 6.

Results may not be perfect but it'll be close enough for them to move on to the next level.

If/when they return to these exercises it will be with even more understanding.

Perhaps we need an Exercise 6.5? Maybe call it "Getting to work on Time" ;)

Edited by Rodney

I've taught A:M on both the High School and College level, and I've had the best success by focusing on TAOA:M exclusively (yes, there are MANY things that are NOT covered, but it teaches the fundamentals of Animation which is the most important thing at this stage) doing the exercises over is actually a GOOD thing- repetition drives home the principals we are trying to teach- You are certainly welcome to contact me directly for more guidance if you'd like!

Thanks!

The video tutorial is great for me! I'm thankful for the validation that I am approaching this in the right manner! I'm taking a risk by teaching-as-I-learn, but we were so excited about having the software that I wanted to get them started ASAP.

When we run into snags in the tutorials - is this forum the best place to ask for help? (I just answered my own question - the TaoAM forum. What a concept!) Should we use the online community?

On with the stuck door . . . :D

Stuck Door is a TOUGH exercise! All I ever require of my students is an attempt- it's kind of like a "Mid-Term"... I've only had a handful of students get really "good" results on it- you might actually want to drop back and do the Path Ease (walk then wave) and "Constraints and Compensate mode" these are in the Misc section on the video manual page: (www.hash.com/vm).

You are welcome to use any means you like to request help! Forum, e-mail, phone and community are all viable options, but you will likely get the fastest responses here on the forum.

We are thrilled you've chosen to teach A:M and we'll help you any way we can!