Hash, Inc. Forums

What does these buttons do?

howboring

I *think* they do exactly what they say they will do. I use 'Key Model' all the time when I need EVERY bone that I have tweeked to have a keyframe right where it is right now...great for 'pose to pose' animation. Also, if you have hit a pose in your animation that you think you will want your char to return to...hit key model...copy all the keyframes generated, and then paste them when and where you need them.

The other 2 do the same thing on a smaller basis, epotimously.

Took me a while to understand these. Probably harder to explain. But, these affect how many bones are keyed at any given point when animating (most notable: is the additions of scaling/rotations/translations). Key bone = will put a key for any manually manipulated "single" bone. Whatever bone you move will be keyed on the graph edit/timeline and just that/them particular bone(s). Key Branch = will put keyframes for any bone that is affected by part a "chain" of bones and only that chain of bones will be given keyed frames at any given point. It has to do with the kinematics thing. [move the hand and the arm/elbow/wrist follows or move the shoulder and the rest of the arm follows]. IT will put keyframes for anything thats part of that chain and moves along with it ...or is affected by it. Like moving the foot and the rest of the leg follows. All the bones of that leg (branch) chain will be keyed (at any specif point in time of course). Key model = puts keyframes of all bones of a model at any given point in time. Everything will be keyed or given a keyframe at that point in the graph edit/time line wether you actually did/didnt do anything to any specific bone.

THey are basically 3 choices of how many keyframes you wanna deal with or actually need keyed at any point in time into the graph edit./timeline as you animate or make poses at any given point in time. Gives you control of what YOU want to see in the graph edit/timeline.

These are really helpful when copy/pasting.

• Hash Fellow

Key Branch will key the selected bone and bones that are children it, the keying won't go up the chain to parent bones.

BTW, it is possible to CTRL-select several bones while the Key Bone filter is on. It's a way to quickly key several bones that may not be related by a branch.