Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

hole in a sphere or cylinder

oakchas

Search was futile.

I know, I'm thinking in CAD instead of A:M (for shame)... But is there a way to put a "real" hole in a sphere or a (perpendicular to the length of the) cylinder?

Probably not an easy thing. Of course, beveling such a hole in a CAD program would be no joy either.

As an example, the wrist pin hole in a piston.

I realise that A:M lets me simply stick the pin through the cylinder at right angles. But no beveling of the hole is possible except with a bump or displacement map.

And that really doesn't leave me with a hole, just a rod through a sphere or a cylinder.

Must learn to think A:M again. (Looks like, not is, nor does it have to be. It only needs to look like it is).

Thanks for any ideas.

Charlie

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Depends on how you need to use this object.

If you are going for a "simple" but detailed "realistic" look... I would probably try to model this. Booleans are great and work well but it requires setting it up with bones and I believe is like a "post" effect... you can't "see it" in the modeling window like actual geometry... I think... this may have changed in later versions. Also if the booleaned shapes move around and interact with other parts of the model you have to organize the bone hierarchy so they don't punch through the wrong thing.

Another trick would be to look at what is really needed. If you need a "pin" through a cylinder you only need the bevel on the edge of the "hole"... it doesn't have to be a real hole. Maybe a bump or displacement image on a simple mesh in that spot would be enough.

-vern

Thanks All!

Ken, yep, that takes care of the sphere. And similarly, it's reasonably easy to do a cup or pipe cap with a hole through the center.

But, how would one do a "wrist pin" through the side of an upright cylinder..?

I can't look at zips here at work, so I'll look at Paul's tute tomorrow.. thanks.

Charlie

Added this pic... more like the one on the left.

piston_hole.jpg

The porthole trick will do the job.

Fantastic!

Sometimes I get so cautious about adding more control points and splines to a model, I forget that I can do that (add more) to make something happen... The solution is pretty obvious when you think about it.

Elegant solutions usually are pretty simple.

Thanks again!