Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Using A:M on a laptop without an optical drive

BrianJG

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow
I'm trying to use A:M on a laptop that does not have an optical drive built in, is there anyway that I can make an image of the cd and store it on the drive so that I can start A:M?

No. The CD is copy protected so that is not feasible.

Or am I just out of luck?
you can get a hardware dongle to replace the CD, at extra cost. Call Hash for info.

If your laptop has a "hibernate function", you may be able to start A:M while an external CD-ROM is attached, remove the drive, then hibernate, and unhibernate your laptop when you want to use A:M. Of course this means not "quitting" A:M until you have returned to your CD-ROM drive.

Someone actually makes laptops without a CD drive?

I think they are quite common. One of the Sony Vaio models is so tiny, there's no room for an optical drive. If you build a Dell on their website and opt for a second drive, I think it goes in the optical drive slot.

I'm pretty sure they all come with a USB or PC card drive, though.

I have a Compaq tc4200 tablet (Really curious to see how A:M behaves using the tablet part) that only has an external USB optical drive.

I use an cd imaging program to store cds on my harddrive and only break out the optical drive about once every three months.

I'll check with Hash about the H/W dongle.

Thanks

Brian