Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Making a Clock

largento

Hello! Hoping someone can help point me in the right direction here...

clock_1.jpg

I'm making a simple wall clock and would like to animate it so that it does one of those "time passes quickly" gags.

clock_2.jpg

I've set it up with a bone for the minute hand and a bone for the hour hand. They are independent of each other and when you rotate them (from the front view), you can change the time on the clock, so it basically works, but I would like to make it more automatic.

clock_3.jpg

I need to constrain them, so that the hands only rotate around the center pin on one plane and I would like to make it so that moving the minute hand would work like a real clock: making it so that rotating the minute hand makes the hour hand rotate to a lesser degree. (i.e. so if the minute hand is on 12 and the hour hand is on three, rotating the minute hand all the way around to 12, would make the hour hand move to four.)

Is there an easy way to do this?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Largento

Probably the best way to do what you want is to make two separate actions.

Do an action for the minute hand say rotating 360 deg every 30 frames and the same for the hour hands.This probably isn't an elegant solution to what your after but should help.

Jay

:D

Thanks, Jay! I'm still trying to figure this all out... having fun, though. :-)

Hello Largento

Probably the best way to do what you want is to make two separate actions.

Do an action for the minute hand say rotating 360 deg every 30 frames and the same for the hour hands.This probably isn't an elegant solution to what your after but should help.

Jay

:D

If you don't want to use expressions:

Make a new object with a bone, make an 5 step action, rotate Z 0,-90,-180,90,0 :Keep 5-10 steps between this steps...

Set stride length, set the proper length(2.r.PI) and frame range.

Make a path in chor, get the just made object and constraint it to the path...

Now get a bone from the clock and roll-like constrain it to the 'one bone'-object(bone).

Length of path and ease are now 'driver'...

Niels

ps.

I didn't try any of this... :)

ps2.

The twelve-unit hand, would probably, be better of with a poser-slider...

Thanks, everyone. Once I figured out how to make the pose slider (I hadn't done that before), it was relatively easy. I set up the movement of the hands to go through 12 hours. I started with 12:00 and made each 2% increment 15 minutes. I reached 12:00 again at 88% and changed that to the max value on the slider.

Now all I have to do is set the time on the slider in the first frame and the end time on the last frame. Very cool!

Here's a short test clip. This is the speed it goes going from 12 to 12 in 30 seconds.

clockclip.mov

Again, my thanks!

• 1 year later...