sprockets TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP Live Answer Time Demo
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Frankenstein Together Models?

Michelle Taylor

I've been lurking for awhile, trying to decide whether to buy A:M or not, and I'm almost persuaded, but have one question (actually two) in mind before committing?

1. Can you "Frankenstein" together models? In other words, if I have a perfectly good head, can I say copy/paste it into another model and still preserve all the relevant bones, poses. smartskin, and muscle movements.

2. Further, if I have a head that I mostly like, but need to modify it, can I cut it in half vertically, then make all the changes I want including bones, poses, smartsking, and muscle movements - then copy/attach it all back into a whole head again?

Of course, I know that when pasting a head back into a model (my first question), I'd have to place it's bones back into the bone hierarchy appropriately, I'm really just trying to find out if other than that, whether or not everything else would carry forward into the new model.

Thanks! :rolleyes:

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Michelle,

Some strange forum feature has allowed me to see your post for the past few days but I haven't been able to post a reply to it. Sorry for the delayed response.

1. Can you "Frankenstein" together models? In other words, if I have a perfectly good head, can I say copy/paste it into another model and still preserve all the relevant bones, poses. smartskin, and muscle movements.

To a certain degree you can. The more complex and different the model the harder to maintain compatibility.

As smartskin is often model specific that may be the aspect you'll want to consider carefully to prevent loss of flexibility. Muscle movements will likewise be retained unless you add new CPs and splines. As you already surmise you can add those back into your model with a little work.

Its always best if the models are designed from the beginning with this replacement feature in mind but even if not it can be done. For instance, a character with exchangeable clothes, heads, hair... whatever.

Design it with the idea in mind to 'frankenstein' and you are set for success.

Further, if I have a head that I mostly like, but need to modify it, can I cut it in half vertically, then make all the changes I want including bones, poses, smartsking, and muscle movements - then copy/attach it all back into a whole head again?

Others are more able to answer this. My experience with Smartskin is limited.

There are tools that let you mirror smartskin.

Now to your last comment.

You may not have to replace or reorganize any bones.

If you have characters/models that incorporate the same rig (2001 or Squetch Rig for instance) you'll find many actions will work well with them too. Some with little or no adjustment.

There is a scratch of the surface.

It sounds like you already understand a lot about the process so I think you'll excell in your endeavor.

Good luck!

Rodney