Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Orbiting in Choreography

SplineSoup

I had a student ask me how to move the camera around in the choreography window and after showing him a truly awful way of doing it I realized I had no clue. =) Is there an equivalent to turning and moving like the modelling view that can be used to manipulate the camera views in choreography?

Much obliged,

Chris =)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

To have the camera always point to something, you'd have to have it constrained ("Aim at") to that object.

But that would be awkward to keep doing and undoing. And typically, you set the camera and leave it there for the length of a shot. I'd wonder why it is they need to keep moving the camera.

There are some camera navigation shortcuts here:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11392

• Hash Fellow

A quick answer.....hold down shift and the middle mouse button and move the mouse around.

When I try that it just pans the camera and doesn't stay on the selected object.

If you don't have a middle button....press T. Then press the left mouse button and move the mouse around.
but that just creates regular "birds eye" motion without changing the camera

To have the camera always point to something, you'd have to have it constrained ("Aim at") to that object.

But that would be awkward to keep doing and undoing. And typically, you set the camera and leave it there for the length of a shot. I'd wonder why it is they need to keep moving the camera.

There are some camera navigation shortcuts here:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11392

In other 3D programs, moving a camera is pretty much set up for you within the program with pre-rigged setups and all...then again, so are primitives! Robcat, the link you provided was immensly helpful in getting me familiar with the camera controls and I quickly deducted from the other posts what exactly it was that I was trying to find.

To orbit you need a central point. Oftentimes this is a null object that the software defaults with an "Aim At" constraint. It's just a nice helper to have when setting up where your camera is aiming and the rig is very simple: create a new Null object, rename it something like Camera_Target, select the camera and apply an Aim At constraint and select your null. Yippy skippy. Still the best way I've found of aiming the camera is to have a window open with the camera view and a window open with an orthographic view side by side. In one you position and in another you get live updates.

BTW, Will Sutton had a nice primer for camera controls at that link above. Here is a transcription.

Thanks a ton,

Chris =)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Camera Keystrokes (Use when looking through a camera) submitted by Will Sutton

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holding down shift while using the hand/pan tool[M]will dolly forward and backward

Hold down control while using the hand[M] will shift the camera sideways and up and down.

Holding shift with the zoom[Z] tool will adjust your focal length.

Holding shift using the Turn tool[T] will aim the camera.

Holding control while using the Turn [T] tool will tilt the camera.

or in the words of Mike Stamm:

The shortcut keys are 'T', 'M' and 'Z', just like in the modeling window. But here's the trick: If you don't hold down a modifier key, it'll just move the Bird's Eye view, as you probably already know. These are the modifier keys.

For 'T'

Hold down Cmd: The camera rotates along its own axis, like the hands of a clock.

Hold down Shift: The Camera swivels to look in different directions, but without moving.

For 'M'

Hold down Cmd: The camera moves side to side or up and down with the mouse.

Hold down Shift: The camera moves forwards and backwards.

For 'Z'

Hold down Cmd: The camera simultaneously zooms out and moves in, or vice versa.

Hold down Shift: The camera zooms in (changes focal length), but doesn't move.

Note: For this process use the 'Cmd' key on the Mac and 'Ctrl' key on Windows