Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Very old man

I have been reconstructing my great great grandfather, John Charles Hall, while waiting for some decal fixes so I can make some cool mountains. Critiques are welcome. I rendered with V13c netrender on three slaves. Looks like there is a bit-o-jitter in the hair on the left.

http://markopuff.com/animations/charles.wmv

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow

"all I got is the clothes on my back"

But they look like good clothes! Sounds like the start of an interesting story.

I like the head turn at the beginning, it gives a sense o f him being alive. But for the last half the head is rather locked in place with just the facial features moving. That can get zombie.

not that you want lots of head swinging, but some slight nods and shifts in conjunction with the shoulders to accent the speech could do a lot.

I agree the lip motion could be toned way down.

Did you use the Phoneme feature?

I used the dopesheet with the dictionary. It is so fun to use I have a hard time resisting but I read that it is better to manually lipsync with phoneme poses. Or maybe not?

But they look like good clothes!

Actually, the cloths are a separate model with their own bones. The cloths bones match the character's bones. In a choreography I constrain the cloths bones to translate and orient like the character's bones. This way I can have one character but many different wardrobes.

Did you use the Phoneme feature?

I used the dopesheet with the dictionary. It is so fun to use I have a hard time resisting but I read that it is better to manually lipsync with phoneme poses. Or maybe not?

You could still use the dope sheet, the draw back is the chatter of the mouth movements that occur because the program is trying to animate each and every syllable tht you put in. You can either tweak it after you're done or simply do it all manually, depending on how realistic you want your animation to be.

In reality the human mouth doesn't move that much when speaking. Film yourself or look in the mirror as you speak those lines, you'll be surprised at how little movement is needed.

Do you have the book "Stop Staring, Facial Modeling and Animation Done Right" by Jason Osipa? He goes in great detail on this subject alone. It might be worth your while to read it.

Keep up the good work.

, the draw back is the chatter of the mouth movements

Some of the mouth chatter is a bug. In the attached image you can see the chanels loop back in time and cause a sudden phonem transition. I saw this same bug back in v11 and reported it but it appears to be back. I think the dopesheet method would look at least 80% better if this bug were gone.

post-671-1152977363_thumb.jpg