sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Rigging my Tv

DarkLimit

I have an issue.....am trying to rig my TV but am stuck.....

I want:

* to have each part [ eyes, body ] to move individually..but have the eyes attached and move where ever the body goes...

* to have his eyes not effected when I scale or distort his body....

any ideas on how to go about this would be great.....

[attachmentid=17231]

thanks

post-447-1149533742_thumb.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you are scaling the parent bones of the eyes to achieve the distortion, then you might have to use an expression that uses the reciprocal of the scaled bone to scale the eyes back down, otherwise I would guess that constraints are the way to go.

Scott

If the eyes are children of the body bone and you squash and stretch the body bone, the eyes will also squash and stretch. If you use an Expression to counteract the squash and stretch it will only be effective as long as both bones remain at the same angle or scale exactly the same on all axes. So, to me, the best solution would be to put a null for each eye as a child of the body bone located at where the base of each eye should be then make the eye bones as non-children of the body and put "translate to" constraints on them to translate to the nulls.

The Expression for maintaining volume while squashing and stretching is "1/Sqrt(..|Z)" where the bone that is squashing and stretching is set to scale only on the "Z" axis. An "aim at" constraint with "scale to reach" and "Z only" set would do that.

Hope that helps.

Dhar - thats exactly some of the movements the tv will have......can u explain how u did that..........

thanks

Here's a quickie:

In bones mode, add a bone up to halfway of the model and assign the middle and bottom CPs to it

[attachmentid=17238]

With Bone1 chosen add Bone2 (this'll make Bone1 the parent bone) and assign the top CPs to it

[attachmentid=17240]

With Bone2 chosen add Bone3 to one of the eyes (this'll make the eye child of Bone2) and assign all the eye' CPs.

[attachmentid=17241]

Then choose Bone2 again and add Bone4 for the other eye (this'll also make it child of Bone2 which is a child of Bone1) and assign the CPs.

[attachmentid=17242]

If squash & stretch will be used, then refer to David's post (who modestly calls himself "itsjustme"), one of the most helpful and knowledgeble Hashers in the forum.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and then you simply manipulate the bone handles to contort the shape of the box

[attachmentid=17243]

post-5367-1149556410_thumb.jpg

post-5367-1149556431_thumb.jpg

post-5367-1149556452_thumb.jpg

post-5367-1149556473_thumb.jpg

post-5367-1149557212_thumb.jpg