Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

SHOT MYSELF IN THE FOOT....

Kelley

Deciding to take a break from the Bird/Flock problem, I set out to build a dino-type beast. But of late, my smooth splines are coming out with kinks. How to stop this from happening?

Thinking that it was a Bias problem, and that setting the In Magnitude & Out Magnitude would smooth out the splines, I selected all CP's and set the value from 100% to 0%. Big mistake.

So...[1] How to stop splines from kinking? and [2] can this model be saved? I tried Selecting All CP's and re-entering 100% in both boxes. No go.

[attachmentid=16243]

BIAS_CP_PROBLEM.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Robert,

Oh boy...

a) first the kinky splines are most likely nothing more then the sub-division setting you have; hit the up page key several times and they will go away.

B) I'm not sure. What you should always be doing is saving 'versions' -- save 001.prj go to next level save / save as 002.prj (or whatever method you choose). Disk is cheap, your time is not. I would think that selecting all of the CPs and reversing what you did would have done it. How about undo (Z). Or select all CPs and hit the O key.

All I can think of.

Rusty

Thanks for the come-back. At least I can cure the kinks. As for the model...well, it only took a few hours, and will take less to re-build now that the main decisions have been made.

I find that the CTRL_Z works if you use it right away. Trying to undo several steps is a very iffy thing. Three or four hammers on the CTRL_Z keys are usually necessary to undo one step, at least on this machine...and the further back down the chain you try to go, the less effective CTRL_Z gets.

If you had set the bias on all the splines magnatude from 100% to 0%... you should have been able to CTRL-Z back. If not... the best thing to do in my opinion is either select all again and put them back to 100% or load up a previous version (if you have one)

You will not get all the bias magnatude settings back the way you had them by setting all to 100%, but they will be greater than 0% which has the same effect as peaking the splines. (That's why it doesn't matter if you peak or smooth them if they are at 0% on the magnatudes).

• Admin
the Page Up worked wonders in smoothing all splines.

For info only (For those that don't know): Page Up/Page Down doesn't change the splines of the model except in the sense of realtime viewing. The underlying splines (magnatude etc.) remain the same underneath.