Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Mp3 player

Hi all.

I have tried to visualize an Mp3-player design that I had in my head. This is yet another retro design attempt (I kind of like retro design). While I tried to make the player function as an traditional ear-plug player with an necklace, it is also given an little speaker so it can function as an small table player (not an powerful one though :( ). Hope you like it.

btw, The DOF does give some artifacts on the earplug in the background (this is an 25 pass render with soft ON).

Regards

Stian

[attachmentid=15204]

mp3playertest0.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another very cool bit of modelling, Stian!

The image looks as though it is over-exposed to me. ;-

Actually I think it is the high contrast in areas that are blurred by the DOF that spoils this image for me.

I love the model and the composition but the render is just not to my taste. Just a personal thing. ;-)

Thanks for your comments

Actually I think it is the high contrast in areas that are blurred by the DOF that spoils this image for me.

I love the model and the composition but the render is just not to my taste. Just a personal thing. ;-)

Is it to much DOF, or to little, or do you feel the image would be better without DOF at all?

I want that mp3 player!

:D

great model.

you are a master of lighting

what is the render time?

Actually it is the Hash team that deserves credit for the lightning, since it is basic mostly AO settings. Thanks Hash

Does the display invert automatically?

That was my intentions atleast (se the decal right beside the display ;)

That is one of the most photo-realistic renders I have ever seen. Great work agep! I really love the display on that thing. How did you pull that off?

Thanks :) The screentexture is an PS edited screencapture of an player application I have installed on my cellphone called "UnrelPlayer". The texture is applied on a 1patched grid, with ambiance intensity set to 100

Stian,

Another great model/render!!!

Personally, I think a little less DOF would be better... Keep the foreground player all in sharp focus... maybe move one of the earbuds so that it is in sharp focus, too.

That, IMHO, would make it a "print ad" standard photo, as you would see in a magazine, or on a brochure cover. I think the embossed logo between the speaker and the display should be readable.

I'm looking at it as though you were trying to advertise it for sale, rather than the "esthetic" quality of the render. So you may not want to change it at all.

Is it to much DOF, or to little, or do you feel the image would be better without DOF at all?

I haven't used DOF for a long time. I didn't like the results that I was getting after playing a few times. The jitter just seemed to create multiple, slightly out of focus, elements in the background which didn't look like true DOF to me. I wasn't prepared to spend the time trying to squeeze I decided that if I wanted DOF that I would use other techniques to simulate it.

Your Mp3 player image seems to display some of what I was talking about, particularly in the speaker grill of the one on the left. The highlights and the embossed logo seem to show at least two copies, slightly out of line, and retains alot of contrast. Real DOF blurs everything outside the field of focus, and also softens it.

I applaud you, Stian, for your relentless efforts to push A:M to limits and get the most out of it. Your work is always an inspiration to me.

I would like to see this image with various DOF settings but that is something I should experiment with myself so that I can then give you a more informed criticism. :D

Carry on being brilliant, Stian. I'll keep watching and learning.

Thanks for your comments. I agree with you about the DOF Paul, I didn't like the "jagginess" the A:M DOF made to much, and I think I also used to much DOF. Perhaps I should try to make some fake DOF in PS... Anyway, here is an clean render of the player, no DOF

Regards

Stian

[attachmentid=15263]

mp3playertest0nodof.jpg