sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Fire extinguisher...

albee01

I'm working on a fire extinguisher model to put out some text I've set on fire. ;) I'm at the spray part of it and am not sure how to handle it.

I was thinking about using a particle system to generate the spray on the end of the nozzle. I want the fire extinguisher to be able to be "turned on" though so I need the spray to be off and later on.

My other thought is to use a small circular model placed in the end of the hose to generate the spray from. I can put this in place or remove it any time I want. Is there a way I could group this with the end of the nozzle so I don't have to consantly position them individually? ie if I move the nozzle the spray model should follow along with it.

Also, any thoughts on the particle settings that might work best would be appreciated.

I'm leaning toward filling the whole screen with particle spray for a few moments and swapping around a few other models before the spray fades back out.

Thanks!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Make an emitter shaped like half an egg, and place this inside the nozzle of your extinguisher with the open end facing out.

Make sure it is assigned to the same bones as the nozzle will be using.

You can make the emitter invisible if you want too, and make sure the normals are facing in to the cone.

Apply your sprite emitter material to the cone.

You can control the spray pattern by reducing the output size.

David

Ok, so how do I disable the spray until I need it? I can't find an active setting to disable the particle emitter regardless of whether the group the emitter is attached to is visible. Using v12.0q

Albee,

Once you apply your emitter material, you'll be able to see it in the chor portion of the project work space.

(you will have to click the show more drivers thing that has a red X through it).

Drill down through the items in the more drivers area properties thing and locate the (I'm assuming you would create a group in your model for the emitter) emitter group.

You should see the material properties there. At the begining of the animation, turn the rate of emittion to zero (make sure the animate button is on).

At the point you want the spray to start, set the emittion to %100 or whatever give you the desired results.

Also make sure you have particles/hair enabled in the options for AM or you won't see anything.

In dealing with particles you can scroll forward in the time line easy enough, but backwards takse a long time for each frame.

Hope this helps.

David