Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

How do you close a cylindrical decal?

Eric2575

This is pretty straight forward. Apply a decal in cylindrical fashion to a model centered on the xyz/0 axis. When checking the model, I find it doesn't close in back. I tried changing the repeat, but that doesn't do the trick. Searched the forum in vain. Tried scaling the decal wider and then reapplying with no luck. Turned the "Seamless" option on in the decal properties with no luck. What the heck does "seamless" do anyway?

Ok, what else is there?

coneDecal.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two things to remember when you are cylindrical decaling..

1. Make sure your horizontal and vertical scale are the same and the vertical scale just barely covers the area you want to decal.

2. Make sure that cylindrical mapping is selected and you DO NOT change the repetition. Cylindrical mapping will do this when it is applied so that you get a seamless texture on your object.

Last thing to note, if you double click on your 'stamp1' after you have applied your decal, you will see how the model is mapped via the UV editor.

When I did this with your texture it mapped properly onto my quick model of a nose, but your map is not seamless and I saw an ugly seam.

DecalTest1.jpg

There shouldn't be any white in your image. You line up the verticle as you apply it, but there is a load of white on the sides that has to wrap round the model too. The software thinks you want that too. Crop the image to just the middle bit.

I don't know what the heck I'm doing wrong. It's getting worse the second time around, see pic. I had the model on xyz-0, decal with horizontal and vertical scale the same, and the repeat left as is.

I see by both pics that your UVeditor reveals no space between the decal. In my UVeditor there are huge gaps. This is the problem, but what is causing the gaps?

Decal1.jpg

Post your decal here so we can be sure it's not that.

I still say if you scale the image to cover your object and make sure the scale percentages are the same in the X AND Y and it just covers the cone in the Y direction, when you apply the decal it should be fine.

If you still have trouble, try making a brand new project, create just a quick cone (like I did) and import your image and make a new decal to get the hang of how it works.

Thanks for your reply guys. There were two problems and both were correctly identified - Jody, you got the fact that the decal I used (from the Web) wasn't seamless and Ken, you pointed out the fact that that particular decal had white edges that needed to be cropped. So, I made a decal from scratch that is seamless and cropped without any white edges. Chris, I also thought about doing that, but I'm still mystified by flattening, duh.

Here is the very satisfying result.

Again, thank you for your input - this is what this forum is for and all about :)

Eric

ReflectionFW190.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have a different type of problem.

I have a tire I want to decal with a tread pattern.

When I select cylindrical application, it always applies it 90 degrees off, even if I save the image rotated 90 degrees to compensate.

The model is located at 0,0,0

The same thing happens regardless of the application perspective.

Image is attached.

Thanks,

David

post-2699-1139763092.jpg

The cylindrical application will attempt to apply the decal around the Y-Axis.

You will have to do two things.

1. Rotate your decal 90 degrees in your graphics editing program and duplicate it so it's a longer tread. Right now it tries to stretch it all the way around a wheel.

2. Rotate your wheels 90 degrees and apply your decal, then rotate them back.

EDIT: Here is the tread after I duplicated it in Photoshop 10 times across and after application on a quick tire. I followed the directions above exactly. The tire was created with it's axis of rotation along the Y-Axis and the decal was applied that way, THEN it was rotated 90 degrees to orient like a real car tire. Sorta like a mechanic having to mount your tire then put the wheel back on your car. :D

TireTread.jpg

TireTreadApplied.jpg

1. Rotate your decal 90 degrees in your graphics editing program and duplicate it so it's a longer tread. Right now it tries to stretch it all the way around a wheel.

Actually this isn't necessary. If it's a tilable image, you can apply it so it stretches and then in the properties just increase the number of times it tiles...to 10.

The cylindrical application will attempt to apply the decal around the Y-Axis.

You will have to do two things.

2. Rotate your wheels 90 degrees and apply your decal, then rotate them back.

EDIT: Here is the tread after I duplicated it in Photoshop 10 times across and after application on a quick tire. I followed the directions above exactly. The tire was created with it's axis of rotation along the Y-Axis and the decal was applied that way, THEN it was rotated 90 degrees to orient like a real car tire. Sorta like a mechanic having to mount your tire then put the wheel back on your car. :D

TL,

That worked perfect thanks!

David

Actually this isn't necessary. If it's a tilable image, you can apply it so it stretches and then in the properties just increase the number of times it tiles...to 10.

Ken,

The problem I've always run into is that cylindrical mapping tries to wrap the image around the object once. I was unaware you could specify a number of repeats to wrap around the object.

Can you please elaborate?