Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Switching rotoscopes on a light

ArgleBargle

I've had good success using a Klieg light with a rotoscope on it to fake being an overhead projector.

However, I need to switch to another image during the choreography. I've put multiple rotoscopes on the light, but only the first one turns up. I've changed the order of the rotoscopes. Again, just the first. I've changed the transparencies of the rotoscopes. Still nothing. I've tried changing the "on top" setting. Again, no change. Stranger still, in the choreography, I get a group of blank oddities. They are attached. How do I make this work right? Is there another way to do this. I don't need to go as fancy as faking sliding an overhead sheet off the surface, just switch in another.

Attachments (in order):

overhead results

workspace oddity

overhead.png

rotoscope.png

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This sounds liek a job for one animated rotoscope (an image sequence) rather than several rotoscopes trying to elbow each other out of the way.

slaps self on forehead

:blush:

OK, so I just need to replicate the image as many times as I need frames filled with the still and then cycle to the next.

I suppose I could manually make a couple frames (the one in the first pic done in Corel & Photoshop so I could continue that trend) that were blurry transitions of an overhead yanked off the surface.

• Hash Fellow
OK, so I just need to replicate the image as many times as I need frames filled with the still and then cycle to the next.
Maybe not even that. I recall it is possible in the channel editor to "animate" what frame an image sequence is on. You can hold, reverse, skip. Don't ask me how.

Translate rotoscopes in x or y 100% then bring them in at the right time at 0%

[attachmentid=13050]

watch at one frame before I move them in at 50% from right to left

project file needs rotoscope tgas name one.tga two.tga three.tga mine not included

:o[attachmentid=13051]

slideshow.mov

slideshow.zip

Maybe not even that. I recall it is possible in the channel editor to "animate" what frame an image sequence is on. You can hold, reverse, skip. Don't ask me how.

Turns out it's not too hard. Just so I knew what direction to take, I just grabbed a targa sequence I had laying around and put it as the rotoscope. In the choreography, go to the actions for the light, open up the deails on the rotoscope and the image inside it and set the frame number like you would any other keyframe.

As I wrote this post, it occurred to me that I could maximize my overhead projector effect by taking a flat image, decal it to a sheet of paper, animate it by deforming like a sheet of plastic and lifting off the overhead "surface" with depth-of-field set very narrow. I think I could get that classic overhead projector look after that blurred image is put on the light.