Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Christmas card

Zaryin

I made this card just for the hell of it. I wanted to try some front projection so I grabbed an older character of mine and used a family friends' picture and added the "Christmas" part.

The funny thing is they liked it so much they are going to send it as an E-card, haha.

I blurred out their face because I didn't really think they'd want everyone seeing them.

Thanks for looking.

Here's a 3-4th view in the chor too.

jinxfamily01.jpg

hi.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I saw one of our other illustrious members do something like that and wondered how he did it. With your second grab, the light just came on! You rotoscoped the overlay area, posed around it, then output with alpha on, right? Then you just merge in in PS or such... Cool!

BTW, think they will recognize themselves with jellybean heads? :P

Thanks for the comments, guys. :)

Ken: Yeah, it is wierd, haha. I think it's just the angle of the head. Both eyes are looking at the camera. I decided not to do anything about it, because I made this as a joke to my friend.

Dhar &gsellis: All of the picture (except for the words) was done in A:M.

1: Take a Picture, any Picture. Here I used a friend's since it was handy.

2: Bring Pic into A:M as a Camera Rotoscope in the Chor.

3: Create a simple Wall and Floor Model and bring it into the Chor.

4: In the Chor line up the picture's wall and floor with the model you made as good as possible. Move only the camera, not the model.

5: Set the model for Front Projection and Flat Shaded and Cast and Receive Shadows (shadows depends on exectly what you are making).

6: Set the Chor Mode to Muscle Mode (Muscular arm icon at the top of the program). And tweak the model's control points until they match the Picture's wall and floor exactly.

7: Switch the Model Mode inside the Chor (Thom icon on top of the program). Using the Picture as reference (remember that this in done in the Chor) add cps around the area that you will want the picture to be Projected on. (In my case the Guy and the Footstool are what I am interested in.) These extra cps will be added to your Wall and Floor Model.

8: Go to your Wall and Floor Model. Connect your outlines to form a solid surface. Since it's part of the Floor and Wall Model it will automatically take the Projected Picture.

9: Bring in your character and place it in the chor behind the objects you just made (Not behind the wall :)). (For reference on what it looks like check out the second picture in the top post.)

10: Pose character in Chor or a seperate Action File.

11: Screw around with lighting until you get a match close to the picture. ( I used a bulb for the flash right above the camera. For ambient lighting I used the 8-Light Skylight Rig of Yves')

12: Render with Blur and Film Grain Post Effects placed on the the Camera in the Chor to help match your model with the Pic better.

If I really wanted to do it well I would have made the models for the Guy and the Footstool in 3D intstead of flat planes.

I think that covers everything.

WoW!

Your egghead characters look almost as real as the dog (except for the ear thingy on the father character, and that's my only crit)!

How did you get them into the seated position so well! I have trouble doing that with my rigs... they just kinda look like I leaned them into the chairs.

Great job, I can see why the eggheads sent it out as their e card!