Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

SFX test of tornado

AM Folks,

Ok, I saw the topic about the SFX for the TWO movie, and can't wait to see what you pro's are going to do for those effects, I hope you post some pictures/animations and any tips you may have on doing them.

Herer is my amature attempt ,but here all I wanted to accomplish was getting that kicked up dust/dirt/objects effect you see in some tornado footage, Ill experiment more with the actual tornado and surroundings as I play, I want to hear of your tips n tricks...it would be a treat!!!, it is that time of year for trick or treating isn't it?

Yes I know the animation is dark, I ment it that way for this attempt.Hope you can see it....

Its Sor 3 mov format...

Thanks,

Michael

P.S. Still working on that ole C-130 too....

tornado_new_6.mov

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks pretty good - yes it is dark - but I could make it out - just lighten up the background some - also would like to see the funnel shape show more variation as it moves - I like the dust kickup.

Yup - "It's beginning to look a lot like Kansas - Everywhere I go". (Oh wait - that's a christmas song)

Thanks hashers,

Mark,Nancy & Ken

Will be working on the funnel cloud (i couldnt remember what it was called...LOL) and brightning things up abit, got to DL me more tornado pics and footage.....the really bright frame was suppose to look like a flash of lightning, that wasn't to convincing..:)

Michael

Okay, I just want to preface my response with that I tend to look at things with the eye of a cinematographer... first impression is that its actually quite good. Too dark? No! Its night, the wind is howling, and some where lurking in the darkness is a monster tornado... hey, in film school we had a guest speaker/director tell us "be brave! Underexpose now!" I like that it's really dark. Like a shark swimming in the murky waters, you just never seem to get a good look at the monster, then, FLASH!, a glimpse of lighting.

Only two things I don't like, first, the funnel. I am facinated by tornadoes, and have watched a lot of documentaries about them. While the funnel shape you have could almost be correct, the garden variety tornado tends to either be a big, wide scrappy looking cylinder, or a narrow twisty snake funnel. Yours seems to go from too narrow to too wide. Do a google search and you'll see what I mean. I think a narrow twisty one would be really cool. The debris field I think looks really good.

Finally, remember your clip has two light sources. The first which is your main source, just general "night time light", and the second which is your lightning flashes. At the end of your clip, the main light source suddenly spins around and comes from a bunch of different directions. This to me says "its moonlight... no, wait, it was a helicopter search light and he just got wiped out by the tornado...". I'd recommend keeping your primary light source stationary.

I think you should rework it, because its really cool looking and the kind of thing that's impressive for a 3D animation. Maybe add sound, and have it wipe out a barn or something... but I really like the light level, I wouldn't brighten it up, it'll lose the mood.

Nice work!

SL.

Thanks for the advice all, it is appreciated,

Yes I will be working on the funnell cloud to "hopefully" make it look more realistic. this first animation was to play with the dust/dirt/objest look at the base of the funnel cloud, nesk Ill work on the funnel cloud, I have a few ideas in mind, Im terriable at lighting....I had a sun light in the center of the tornado and key framed a few rotations, I have no idea why...LOL....thats what makes me an amatuer, Im still scratching my head on how I want to do the lighting, I want a look of distant and near lightning some that strike the gound some that just light up the night sky/storm clouds.

More late , Now I have 2 projects going ,my C-130 and this....I love SFX, and am also facinated by tornados, slightly OT but I have also been reaching the feasability of weakening tornados by the use of percussion bombs , but it looks like unless the force can be targeted it could cause damage on its own .

Michael

want a look of distant and near lightning some that strike the gound some that just light up the night sky/storm clouds.

Just thinking of that from experience... lightning that strikes close by tends to be a all encompassing blinding flash, while lighting in the distance tends to be seen up in the sky/clouds. Either can have a fork, just depends wether you want to simulate that or just sheet lightning. So for your near flashes, you could probably just make the whole screen flash white for a frame, while for far lighting you could just have flashes in clouds far off in the distant background. Think of the scene in "Wrath of Khan" where they go into the nebula... there's lots of "distant lightning" used for that part. Looking forward to seeing the next version!

Here's my new tornado/funnel cloud, It's bones and has dynamic contraints targeted to a null (the funnel shape can be changed by pose sliders)...the funnel cloud has a sprite smoke material and the funnel is spinning somewhat, still dark I know, this test does not have the ground dirt being kicked up Ill add that later, been watching some nice tornado/storm footage too.

Also does anyone have a project file of the burning hole effect that works with V12? maybe I should post that question to another thread....

Michael

Funnel_w_Sprites___Spin.mov