sprockets Live Answer Time Demo Tinkering Gnome's Sparkler PRJ Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Movie for trade show

Here's a rough render of a the first two scenes of a movie I'm creating for our booth at a trade show in Vegas next month. I've been working here as the one-man art department since January and we'll have a couple of big plasma screens showing this piece along with some demonstrations of game play.

I've got a rough sound track for the first scene here but it's not included at the moment. I want to get the timing better.

This piece is going MUCH smoother than a thing I was working on a few weeks ago. There was something buggy with that piece that I kind of figured out with the help of Noel at AM Reports, but ultimately we decided on a hand-animated approach instead of 3D so it got put aside. Phew!

The timing on this piece still needs some work but I would be interested in any crits that would help me shine it up a little. It's a 5MB QuickTime movie.

ISDgames movie

Gerry

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gerry,

I just got it downloaded... this morning and just looked at it... Couldn't DL from work.... And 5 MB files prolly scare those with dial up///

I liked it, look forward to hearing the sound though.... and the logo seems to have some jaggies. and I'd like to see some depth to the logo.... it seems like it's flat.. needs some more dimension, and perhaps a bit of reflection...

It does give a feeling of FAST... which is probably good.

Those are first impressions not deep crits.

HTH,

I just got it downloaded - I like the movement and transitions - it is the kind of piece that needs sound - and I agree with Charlie that the logo would probably work better with a more dimensional look - more specularity? to fit with the "space gallactic look" of the background.

It wasn't clear to me what the significance of the hearts & dollars signs were - I suppose they have something to do with the games you make and would become more apparent with follow on scenes.

Very nice. I like the objects going into a spiral.

I would recommend considering reworking the movement of the smaller words that fly into place. Their movement somehow looks "tentative" to me...as if they're not sure where they're supposed to go. It might have to do with the direction changes or a lack of arcing in their movement. The concept in itself is good; it's just the overall impression I get for their movement.

Very good job!

Nos

Well there goes my prize! Thanks for the comments folks. Last night I made up a long list of tweaks to do on this, including for a number of things commented on.

I tried to crunch it smaller, will work on that for the next go-round.

Yep nancy, the symbols are all specific to our games, lots of cherries and sevens and coins.

I worked further last night on the sound and have opted for now to use some short clips of copyrighted stuff. I need to look into fair use regs on this. This is a one-off presentation for a three-day event, and will probably not be seen after the trade show so I'm definitely in a grey area.

If anyone has info or links re: using music I would appreciate hearing about it.

We've been putting up some Flash versions of the games on our website at http://www.isdgames.com/htdocs/public.html if you really want to see more.

Gerry

Animation Master ROCKS! This is the first time I've dropped sound into a project and it is awesome!

I've ditched the copyrighted music and found a classical clip (Hayden I think) that is not only perfect but lends itself to syncing the action just great. One of the concerns was creating a soundtrack that can be listened to more or less continuously for a three day show without driving people to insanity.

I'll be posting another wip in the next day or so. Hopefully smaller than 5mb.