Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Possible character for next MM

I happen to love comic strips (I'm a HUGE Peanuts fan - collect the strip collections). I even took a class on it while in school. At any rate, here's something I fooled around with like a year ago before I got AM. I'm thinking it might be good for my next mini movie instead of the little rabbit looking creature. C&C welcome. What you see is mostly all I have on him.

post-7-1117723505.gif

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom,

I like it. The wise cracking robot is good. The advantage of a character like that (especially for a mini movie) is you may not have to do facial animation at all, but still have dialog! Make the face shield reflective and all your animation will revolve around the poses.

Are we allowed to collaborate on these mini movies? I have a brief joke story line, set on a planetary outpost, that may work with your two characters and fit the mini movie. PM me if it is allowed and you are interested.

Scott

:lol:

I'm him! Well, I was until I got the Handicapped mirror thingy... (Boy they give those out like candy though. Seems like everybody's got one)...

I like him... Look forward to seeing him animated... Maybe even keep the cartoon strip look... not just toon but 2D patch animated? just a thought...

Charlie

Thanks guys, I liked the characters too but didn't think about them much until just recently since I got AM. Scott that was my thought too - dialogue without mouth poses. I could also have the robot have a kind of "mouth" that is like an EKG line that moves, we've all seen that on robots. Thanks for the story offer Scott - collaboration is certainly allowed, but I think I have a story lined up. But if I change my mind I will definitely PM you :)

I think I'll try and begin building these guys this weekend.

Tom

Sounds like a great idea Tom. I'm definately looking forward to seeing this.

I also like the EKG line idea for the robot's mouth.

Are we going to see a 2d patch animation like Charlie mentioned?

Anyways,

Best of luck,

--Ross

Well here's a crack at the as yet unnamed robot guy. He'll be a floater, no wheel. I'm not sure if I am going in the right direction with this or not, so any feedback is appreciated. This is also my first render with toon lines and it is totally messed up.

I'm also wondering - can you make a layer a part of a model? Say if I wanted to display stuff on his screen, it might be best to make it a layer...

post-7-1118198061.jpg

Tom,

I think that looks pretty good. Seems to be beveled and everything.

I would guess that the best way to display stuff on his screen would be a decal. I think you can even put a video there as an animated decal. WOuld open a world of possibilities.

Looks like you're off to a good start!

Scott

PS: Thanks for the acknowledgement in your mini movie, hardly necessary, but appreciated.

No prob Scott. I'm not sure he's anthropomorphic enough...I may play with another version that is more round/organic. He has to be expressive with only arms and his screen. The decal is a good idea, I wasn't sure you could do that, animate decals. That's the way I'd like to go.

I prefer the square one mainly because of the asymmetry - it reminds me of an old fashioned tv - but that may not be what you're going for... I also think the rectangular shape is a funnier juxtaposition with the main characters round head.

Maybe if the round shape were more old fashioned oscilliscopy looking...?

That's a genuinely funny strip- do you have more?

And I like the square one too- but maybe introduce even more assymetry into the casing for "character." There is something sort of curmudgeonly (sp) about the square shape... sort of grumpy-ass looking.

Thanks for the comments! It does have the diver feel, I kind of went for that actually. I too feel as though the square one has more potential for character - and Peter I think you are right on the asymmetry thing. And curmudgeonly (:D) was exactly the feel I wanted..so I must be somewhat on the right track with the square one - I'm going to explore that one.

And Nancy, I was going for that old tv look exactly :)

Thanks for the comment Peter, that's all I have right now but I like the characters. I wanted to try and develop it more but never had time, but I've gotten interested in it again so... first I want to try and get the next MM done, and I'm already behind schedule! I do have a script partially written for it, so I gotta get on this modeling!

I like the idea of the older set... after all, we curmudgeons have a notion of what old sets oughta look like... I kinda like the non symmetrical modernistic (read Jetson's) of the latest screen... but to give him that older curmudgeonly look... A rectangular screen with rounded ends... Like a (_) (with a line on top of course).

And two knobs usually on the right (facing it, or its left) One for VHF and one for UHF... and maybe a small volume/on-off knob at the bottom under the single speaker... And Rabbit ears antennae on top.... even better with a bit of tinfoil!

I really like the characters as driven by the story/strip...

Charlie

Of course, when spaceman doesn't like the comments made by the TV, he needs to whap it on the side... to get better reception!

Hi Tom,

I definitely like the square version better than the round you had earlier. Have you considered using softer colours? When I think old tv's I think greyscale casing or at least muted colours.

You're certainly moving along at a mighty pace!

Thanks Tiffany. Everything is pretty rough right now, I'm not sure what colors I'm going to use. Keep in mind he's supposed to be more than just a retro tv - he is the 'supercomputer' of the day, albeit slightly off-kilter ;)

• Admin

Tom,

Too much fun.

Did you make any more of those comic stips? If you did... care to share either now or after you adapt it for animation?

Great stuff! :)

*** Whoops! I see you've already answered this. Sorry. I want more though!!! ;)

Edited by Rodney

Thanks Rodney - frankly I'm slightly overwhelmed by how much people like the strip! (Ok, granted - it's a small sample of people!) I think I might try doing another one or two this week. I had a lot of fun with it and I'm thinking I can almost use them as a sort of storyboard. I'll post back what I come up with.

I'm also thinking about going back to the wheel. I wanted to avoid animating the wheel... but if I don't do something because I think it's hard (even though it fits the character better) I'll never learn.

Tom

How about, you make 4 little thruster pods with nozzles around each one, and when the guy wants to fly fast, they expand then contract real quickly to direct the thrust more effieciently. Like a plane . . .

Nice comic strip! loved it . . . the character looks good, keep it up!

Ben

Ok, here's another one that I did very quickly (had to squeeze it in at the end of lunch - so the artwork is literally just thrown together). Last night my mind was running with ideas and this was just one of them. Right now I have this stuff as vector art in Illustrator, but I might prefer to hand draw it. I have to think about it...

Anyway, like I said I could use these for storyboards of parts of the mm, not sure yet.

post-7-1118688631.gif

Update - added the wheel section - what do you think? I need to rework some of the parts (although the problems don't show up in toon mode yet). Something is really bothering me about his 'hands'. Going to have to revisit them.

Also elbows..what I have is the easy way, but maybe something more 'robotic.' I'm just concerned about rigging it.

post-7-1118723850.jpg

make two half spheres a bit apart from each other, pop another one in there, and you are all set! The indside sphere will act as the joint, with casing around it.

Or then again, you could always do it my favorite way . . . with the 6 tubes conecting the joints. To see what i mean you can check out my robot WIP that i never finished

My robot thread

looks great!

Tom,

I like the TV in the strio best of all.. believe it or not, it's the right color (or at least tone). A shade of tan with that tone and he'd be perfect.

Though I don't know of any tvs with 3 antennae.. I like this guy, just as he is... Even the cog like rubber tire...

And the opposing polygons for the screen and the set box is spot on...

Charlie

I like the strip, too Monkienaut indeed!