Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

decal tutorial recall question

Here is a screen capture of my decal when I hit recall position on the stamp under the decal heading. I've read posts that when I hit recall, the stamp is supposed to line up where I had stamped it. In this shot, they obviously don't line up, but when I render on the model, the decal is where it's supposed to be. Note: I did not create a pose when I applied the decal, I did everything in the eaction window per William Sutton. Second note: I did increase the image size in photoshop also as per William Sutton, although I don't know if that has any bearing.

It also confuses me that when I increased the image size in photoshop and then imported the image into AM, once I replaced the blank image with the newly painted one from photoshop, it fits on the model in the original scale. Does AM scale it according to the stamp?

I feel like I am close to figuring out this decal business, but I am not over the hump yet. Please give me some feedback.

recall.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your best bet is to apply any old image to a simple shape and then try to recall it. If it works, then it's something you've done in your method if not, it's a bug and send it in to AM:Reports. I think it might be the latter, but I haven't been decaling much lately with v11.1d.

Eric- I'd be glad to respond to your question as I'm just finishing up a fairly complex project, decal-wise, and I've learned a ton through trial and error. but I can't tell from your screen shot what you're showing. What's the decal? The large grey shape? The dotted triangle? If you can show me something that more clearly show the problem I'll try to help you out.

Gerry

Gerry:

The pic is more of a sample to try and show the problem. My model is the Nautilus submarine of Disney's 20,000 Leagues under the Sea. I am trying to find the best way to decal the main hull. The rivit patterns are very unique and specific across every section of hull. I can't just take a decal that has steel plate material with rivits on it and stamp the whole sub.

Sooo, I think the way I have to proceed is by selecting sections of hull, flattening the section, and then taking a screenshot to paste into photoshop. Once in photoshop, I have to increase the image resolution and paint what needs to be in that particular section of hull. Once that's done, I have to import the pic into AM and apply it as a decal. That's where the decal is supposed to be pinned, but it is never where it's supposed to be.

I am just guessing on most of this and have no idea if this is really the way to go. Never done this before. Let me show you a sample of what I have and where I want to be.

Nautilus_compareskins.jpg

Wow, good thing you've picked a simple subject to start with! :P One question I would ask is, is the decal out of place when you do a render either of the model or the scene? I discovered one interesting anomaly on my project, which is that if you just look at the model in shaded view (by hitting "0" rather than rendering by hitting "Q" for a quick render) and if the patch has a curved edge, the decal will look out of place or stretched, like it's being "pulled" by the patch's surface tension, but when you do the quick render or a choreography render, it's actually where it should be. could that be the problem?

Another thing to keep in mind (though you probably already know this) is that you don't necessarily have to flatten every section every time. If you rotate the model to where you're looking at the patch(es) to be decaled more or less straight on, take your screen shot, paint on it in Photoshop, then apply the decal at the same angle, it will go on pretty nicely. In other words, you can apply a decal from any angle, not just from left-top-front-side view.

I'm afraid I don't have much experience with flattening in an action for the purpose of decaling so I have no advice for you there. I hope this is some help. Let me know.

P.S. - there's a great tutorial over on the ARM by Bill Sutton on decaling. Hugely comprehensive, with stepbystep directions for flattening in an action window, making the screen shots, etc. etc. That may be some help.

That's where the decal is supposed to be pinned, but it is never where it's supposed to be.

It doesn't really matter if the decal doesn't appear pinned. Once you have applied the decal and a stamp appears - you can go into the uv editor to line your patches up any way you want - To get into the uv editor - In the model DECAL data, right click on the stamp you want to fix and choose edit.

The uv editor window should appear showing you the patches and where they are stamped - move the cp's of the patches to wherever you want on the decal image - by selecting them - You are doing this all in the UV edit window.

If you have another window open (model or action window) - you will actually see the decal change -

Hope that was sorta clear - (Will does show this in his tutorial)

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't find this post until late.

I had this problem when following Mr Suttons tute, but the mistake I was making was trimming the image in photoshop smaller than the 'blank' patch. It must be trimmed exactly to the blank patch size or it gets scaled up or down and the positioning moves to suit.

Hope this makes sense.

Maybe better late than never.

Hoggy