sprockets Hans Donuts 3D Printing USS Midnight 1950s Street Car Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Distortion in very simple model

I started out with a single spline with several CP's connected to form a rudder shape. After selecting that closed loop, I extruded twice. Once done with extrusion, I wanted to stitch the sides together to create the side faces. On my first stitch, I noticed the distortion you see in the jpeg. Normally I see that with overlapping splines, but how can that be on such a simple shape? Two extrusions is all. Also, when I select a CP and pull it away, there is no other one hiding behind it - if that makes any sense.

Any ideas?

distortion.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well for starters I'd say that there are too many splines in the area I pointed out. One other thing. It may not show if you have two splines running through one spline to another. I'm saying you should try and break the area around the distorted area. Break the splines and see what happens. Two patches rendering in one spot causes distortion like that.

post-7-1110598576.jpg

Couple of things to check/try..

Do a render to make sure this anomaly is visible.

Also, whenever I do this type of modeling... I will peak all the splines in those areas and use bias to create the curved "bevel" on the edges. When you have the "curved" splines in that situation wierd things happen... specifically a single long spline like that across a patch.

I bet if you added a couple of extra splines... hey! You already have 'em! As Ken mentioned this will go away if you continue those dead end splines all the way across to the other side. It will of course create 3 point patches but they won't look too bad.

Vernon "!" Zehr