What would be the best way to about adding exhust

Phil

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In one of the tutorials there is a section where dust is added. I believe it was dust coming from under the Knight's foot - I know I saw it somewhere. I wonder if you can manipulate that dust to give the illusion of smoke for your Harrier.

Great looking Harrier BTW.

Here's a few shots of what i've been able to achive. Just haven't been able to get the smoke to just ome out of the nozzle only. It also seems to go in the opposite direction when the aircraft is hovering downward. Also is there a way to increse the amount of thrust say smoke using a pose slider ? any help would be great

thanks

smoketest.jpg

Just haven't been able to get the smoke to just ome out of the nozzle only. It also seems to go in the opposite direction when the aircraft is hovering downward.

If you want to avoid the particles falling upward as the plane descends, you have to make sure the velocity of the particles that make up the exhaust is greater than the downward velocity of the plane. (The units of particle velocity aren't labeled in the settings, but they're actually measured in cm/sec.) And if you're not using sprites, you should.

Also is there a way to increse the amount of thrust say smoke using a pose slider ?

You can use a pose slider to control the particle emission rate.

I'm trying this again, I thought i knew how to make a pose slider, but i guess i'm doing it wrong. It dosent control any thing. the project you dis worked fine. I'm just unable to recreate the afeffect to control the rate of emission.

I 'll select to embed all this time

embednozzle.prj

Yes that was a wonderful render->

John showed me a good way to achive this, but I'm just unable to create

a pose slider to control it. I can create a pose slider to move the model and move CP's but not sprite settings

:(:(:(:(

They did this on "True Lies" - the model with Arnie in it was suspended from a crane and they rotoscoped in a mesh where the downdraught would be. There was a basic Harrier model too, but that was used to mask out the areas of the downdraught that were "behind" the live shoot model, and was set not to render.

The downdraught used a transparent blobby emitter that had its index of refreaction set. When rendered with the rotoscope, the background was distorted where the downdraguht produced a heat haze.

Couldn't you do something similar for this project? A harrier wouldn't actually produce much smoke - it's the sign of a very rich fuel mix.

John,

a picture is worth 1000 words. Your picture verified that i was infact following your inital instructions. turns out by uninstall all 3 versions of AM and just reinstalling the latest lets me create the pose slider that contols the the sprite settings to my hearts content. Thanks for sharing the knowledge :D

Looks pretty good.

If you're trying to achieve realistic behavior, the jet acts more like a model, it lacks 'weight'. This is evident in the abrupt manuvering when it swoops to land, however, as the landing gears touch down you succeeded in adding 'follow thru' which indicates 'weight' to the whole machine.

I did a similar project a few years ago using Infini-D (which is no more) where it had the cool ability to reflect smoke emiters upwards once it touched the ground. I wonder if A:M has a similar feature?