Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

(another) my first WIP

here it is, my first show and tell, the amazing: MAN! or not... I know he's crappy, but he's my first and Im kinda pleased with him, actually. Gotta do some more tweaking tho, so anybady got some good tips like: "GET BETTER!" or something? :P anyway, all help is usefull, so just post away! (btw, going to bed, so I won't critizise any of your tips before tomorrow)

post-7-1105914484.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He's looking pretty good. Just smooth out those splines around his mouth (and you have a gazillion of them. Maybe might be worth cutting out a couple lines of them or something) and fiddle with the proportions a little and he'll be perfect.

Proportions: okay, first off, ears are never that high on people. The tops are usually level with the eyebrows and the bottoms with the middle of the mouth. They're always right on the jawline, so it'll look wierd until you tweak those splines around to accomodate them, but there it is. Cheeks have a concave line from just above the nostril to the edge of the mouth and only at those points curve into a circle; a perfectly round cheek doesn't exist. Pull those control points that connect the cheek to the upper part of the nostril out a little and you'll hit two birds with one stone, as the nose won't look so thin. Eyes are set back in sockets; you don't need to actually show those, but the nose's bridge would be out farther and the eyes back in. Actually, I'd suggest finding a profile image of a person to use as a rotoscope while you tweak; you don't need to find someone exactly like the character you're modeling, but just the proportions would be helpful. Especially around the mouth area: it's hard to tell from front-on and 3/4-view, but it looks like the lips are on a level plane. Mouths actually curve back at the edges; think about the curve of the teeth and jaw. They also puff forward pretty significantly at the middle - shine a light down on your face and look in the mirror and you'll see a shadow under your lower lip. Again, a good profile rotoscope would be invaluable here. Pretty much all of those wierd creases around the mouth and cheeks would be solved by tweaking it in profile view.

Hope that all helps. :huh:

Wow :blink: . Not wow at his reply but at your model. Now I shouldn't be one to criticize but I think he stopped typing because there was to much to say about your model. Like he said I would get a rotoscope and try to tweak to those proportions. But the smoothness of the model is nice... by this I mean no creases and good four point cross sections at control points. His chin loods like a goute though. His face looks like he has down syndrom or (and) some other horrible disease. Try to soften up around the mouth chin and nose area. The modeling style itself is good though. So I'm sure those changes will come easy.

now that's a bit harsh, wouldn't you say? <_< and I noticed one thing: that picture I posted, it sure as heck looked A LOT different from the model I have on my puter. Did you just look at the pic from the post or did you look at it in a new, bigger window, because the difference is really big. dunno why, but it is.

Like Vash said, without being os harsh. Your splinage is great, but your placement is off. I'd say at least 80% of modeling is tweaking the mesh after the initial modeling is done. Just tweak to get rid of those lumps and to smooth it out and you'll have a good model there.