Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

My First Character (semi-repost)

Hi, this is kind of a repost because I finished "version 1" of this guy, and plus I uploaded the wrong movie before.

Anyway here he is, the first thing I've made in A:M. Thanks to jamagica for the quick little eye tutorial, even going through that taught me a lot.

My goal in having this guy is not so much to make him the perfect model, but to have something of my own to learn to animate with. I've learned a TON in just building this one character (many thanks to everyone BTW).

There are certainly some rough areas - the feet for sure and parts of the legs. The eyes need some kind of brow or eyebrows. I think I'm going to add "floating" eyebrows - what do you think? I want to get animating - and I just downloaded TSM2 a couple hours ago B) - so I'm achin to get started!

His name is "Mumby" - can you guess why? :P Movie here, picture in second post.

Tom

mumby1.avi

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha..that guy looks hilarious..

I mean the modeling is so bad!! lol. just kidding..this guy looks awesome...I suggest you add eyelids, a very good crucial body part in animating (I learned it the hard way)..here's a recent discussion on making decent eyelids:

making eyelids

Thanks J and thanks for the complement - eyelids its then :)

Tom

Hey that's impressive. Wouldn't think it was a first model. Em, what is he? :D

Thank you! What is he...ummm...yeah...not sure! I named him Mumby because he kind of reminds me of Gumby and his torso looks like an old strike Matchstick - so Matchstick + Gumby = Mumby LOL.

I just wanted something to animate with, but I wanted to model it so I could practice my modeling. I'm going to try and do the eyelids, then I'll fire up TSM2, can't wait.

Tom

I added eyelids via this post:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10834

Picture below. I just can't seem to figure out how to make a pose, will make another post on that in newbie forum.

Question about expression in the eyes: do I still need some type of eyebrow, or is rotating the eyelids on the X axis enough to show a frown/surprise etc?

Tom

post-7-1105309502.jpg

Eyebrows are very essential for expression...I do suggest making them...Just make them float if you are on a tight time scale...I suggest just lathing an eyebrow with about 5/6 points for expression flexibility... position it, then copy/paste and Move over to the other side, instead of deleting half of everything then copying, flipping/attaching. After that, create poses for different eye expressions..then you're ready

Ok, here's an update. I added eyebrows - simple ones. I also finally figured out the pose - wheee! So here's a bit of my first animation ever with AM - an eyeblink! :D Thanks to everyone who helped, and watching the video tut on the mouth helped a lot.

Notice the eyes don't quite blink at the same time. I accidentally moved the bones for the other eye and I got all turned around, but it was a good lesson.

Unfortunately my TSM2 software has a bug and I can't rig him yet, but that gives me time to put a bone in the eyebrows, probably redo the eye rig and add some better legs (not happy with them now).

Question

For each time I failed to set a pose, I have an empty pose I can't seem to delete - can you delete them?

Thanks

Tom

eyeblink2.mov

EDIT: That looks awesome! If TSM 2 isn't working, use the 2001 rig

Thanks! I'm thinking the eyebrows need to be 'bushier' so I may do that. Good idea trying the 2001 rig, I may do that if they don't get a snappy response to my bug.

Tom

Ummm... you can download that? if you can legally, where?

Sure if you purchase it first ;) Actually according to them, there isn't a physical version, because I actually asked for one, but it's only downloadable. I'll have to burn my own CD as a backup. But its nice because you get it right away... now if it only worked :(