sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Images attached to posts

We don't all have broadband so may I politely suggest to people posting images directly into the forum messages that you take some steps in reducing the size of them - use thumbnails with links off to full size images somewhere else if necessary. And by size I mean keep them under 50kb.

People like me just aren't going to sit around for 5 minutes waiting for the images to download! If I did I would never get through the forum posts!

Cheers

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

David,

We are going to have to be a bit more specific than that to keep the file sizes low.

I agree we need to do this but the future is heading the opposite direction.

Animation doesn't make this any easier.

Just to get the discussion going...

The largest file that can be uploaded into a post is 1MB.

How painful would visiting a WIP with a page full of 1MB images in each post be?

That is the worse case for that scenario and I doubt it would be worth a visit from low bandwidth users.

Images linked from outside the forum add to the problem.

There is (practically speaking) no limit to the size of images that can be linked into a post.

Solutions

This is what we need to discuss.

It would be nice to cover all aspects of the problem and we can keep it handy for reference.

Image size isn't just a consideration for those with low bandwidth.

In animation file size (and compression) is an important consideration for all.

Next?

Hi David!

I did post some images today, and i have a slow connection too, and i hate waiting. Actually i tought i was posting a link to the image (my first image posting), and i still don`t know how to post a thumbnail link. More experienced users of forums don't do it, but the forum is growing. And 5 minutes... from Canada to Australia, that's a bargain.

Hope the rest of the year is faster!

Personally speaking, you (genericly speaking - not aimed at anyone in particular)can 'reduce' an image with an image editor tool using say 30-60% reduction without too much loss in quality. Coverting directly to jpg without any compression is just a waste of bandwidth.

ie a 1.6mb TGA converts to a 422kb jpg without compression. Compressed to a quality of 60 produces a 112kb file with next to no obvious loss of quality - and this is an image 960x640px (too large for a post on the forum) Reduced in size to something useful on the forum and you have an image well under 50kb in size. or something that takes a typical 28k line 15-20 seconds to download.

Again, personally speaking, you probably want to keep your highest quality images for image contests and the like but we are looking at WIP's here.

Another thought. If you are likely to be posting a lot of images then don't post them all to the same thread (and only post if there are marked changes - subtle changes are likely to be lost on many readers!) Alternatively, just edit your first post and change the image there and refer back to it to let people know you have changed it (or add a second image to the origianl post to show original and current versions)

Just some food for thought

Cheers