Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Demo/Director Reel Animation

Hey Hashers,

I'm posting the opening segment to my director's/demo reel. The Quicktime clip is 20 seconds and 4 MB.

Essentially, this will be the lead in to the actual reel clips. I still have to build/add the effects track.

Here's the link:

http://home.pacbell.net/jedonald/AM/Sentinel.mov

C&C are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Jefferson

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jefferson,

Very cool "high tech" look.

Here are a few suggestions:

1 When the sphere bounces on the floor, don't have the camera tilt up & down to follow the bounce. Aim the camera at a fixed point on the floor and the bounce will look more realistic/dramatic.

2 Raise the sphere up off the floor more slowly & deliberately. This will build a little suspense & drama.

3 Reveal of projector pod is way too fast . I would slow it down because it's hard to tell what is happening.

4 Slow down the action of the sphere rotating to face the screen.

5 For all "in air" sphere movements, you could consider soft stops, where the sphere shows a barely perceptible deceleration before stopping.

6 At certain points while sphere is hovering, you could utilize moving holds, where the sphere moves very slightly up & down and back & forth as if some kind of mechanism or force is stabilizing it. This movement would be very slight but noticable.

7 Experiment with slowing down the fan shadows. This might give it a more dramatic "Blade Runner" kind of feel.

Just some suggestions. It's a great piece. Keep up the good work!

Hi Jeff. I think it's a good idea for an opening, I like the general look and design :)

However I would tweak some things.

When the ball bounces (think of the material, would it squash and stretch when bouncing?) keep in mind that when the ball goes up, it eases out, and when it returns to the floor, it eases in. I think a little motion blur would help giving realism to the shot.

Also, I think the step of the ball transformation isn't clear enough , it's like if I missed something. Maybe you should try not to cut the shot, or maybe other cut, I'm not sure.

Hope it helps, congratulations!

Diego

• 3 weeks later...

I performed tweaks using the submitted suggestions. Here'ss the “final” version; however, I question the length (32 seconds). I ask the group for its opinion. Please bear in mind this would open a company's demo reel and be used as an opener for a commercial directing reel. It is not geared toward getting a job with a company as an animator, if that has any sway on the comments & critiques.

I’m still building the effects track.

Here's the link:

http://home.pacbell.net/jedonald/AM/Sentinel2.mov

It’s a QuickTime file 32 seconds, 4 Megs.

The first bounce of the ball gives a bouncier impression than the second bounce. Either lower the first or higher the second. Also, as it turns toward the screen, it tilts over to the left for no apparent reason. I would assume that it can just as easily rotate on the spot to turn....considering it can hover in one place. Otherwise it all seems good.

• Hash Fellow

The shot is definitely improved over the first version.

However, I think you are very right to question the length. If, as you say, the viewers aren't looking for animation, 30 seconds will be more than enough time for them to hit the eject button and move on to the next tape/dvd.

I'd say come up with some animated logo treatment of your name, 5 seconds max, and then get right into the real stuff you want to demo.

However, it might be appropriate to put this shot at the end of your reel under "other skills".

Good luck with the project.

The difference between the two reels is subtle but crucial the second one feels so much more professional, If I was going to add anything I might consider some sot of gas or dust release when the ball is dropped initaily, or some sort of volumetric effect on the projection when it first lights up, but not both. But I am very impressed the effect is very good.

The second one is a vast improvement. I think, if you want to cut time, you could combine the projector emerging with the sequence where the ball hovers towards the camera. You might also want to add a very slight vertical motion to its final resting point.

RE: The squash and stretch:

I chose not to add any "squash" since the ball is metal and wasn't the style I wanted. However, stretch at the top of arc was put into place. I've enclosed that section of the Y-Channel as a screen shot.

This graphic includes the initial drop from the wall and then the bounces. I also gradually shortened the length of hang time as the ball lost its energy; initially the ball from bounce to bounce was in 20 frame intervals, reduced to 10 frame intervals.

Jefferson

post-7-1106414509.jpg