Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Chair Wars

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand what that frame is... It's either a deformed hand turning on/off the lights or a chair (judging by the thread title) turning on/off the lights.

LOL! Well, that's part of the intent. The animation won't actually show the character's full body until he sits down. Until then, it's only partial shots like this or his feet.

Thanks, Mathias. I loved that one too and I think that I shall always have that fun association with rubber duckies. The idea was so original and unique that it stands as my greatest character animation ...

... out of two.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another render from my animation. I wanted everyone to see the difference between the Enhance:AM texture that I used ("straight from the box") and the EggProps material with which I replaced it (only changed the colors and lowered reflectivity). The unfortunate thing about those beautiful reflections off the wood work is the extra forty-five minutes it added to the render. First frame took 1:17, second took 2:04 (hours, not minutes).

Camera6-2254a.jpg

Camera6-2254b.jpg

And you can see my animation progress here. The last part there needs to be slowed down.

The difference in wood textures is astounding. Nice plug for Wegg and Co.

I am not skilled enough to truly add much in the way of constructive criticism but the door handle looks like it rotates too far. I have that kind of handle on the french doors going out back and it only rotates about 50 degrees or so. This is such a nitpicky point but it caught my eye and stuck with me for the rest of the animation.

Wade

Hi, Daniel:

The animation looks great so far, very ominous (which I assume is what you intended). I love the little detail of Shaggy's photograph!

The pickup of the coffee mug looks strange to me, but I can't put my finger on why, with it going so quickly. And speaking of fingers, does Shaggy hit the light switch with the back of his finger? Seems like an odd choice to me, if so.

Looking forward to more!

Ominous? Unless you're using that word differently than I'm used to, it's not the intended effect. I want a little suspense in not seeing the full character until he sits in the chair, and I'm hoping that some of the audience will see the extra humor in the suspense. Kind of like many movies do for the big actor or actress.

… does Shaggy hit the light switch with the back of his finger? Seems like an odd choice to me, if so.

Yes. The back of his index finger. I tried the actions myself. Although I don't have the button-switch as in the animation, I found myself flipping light switches with the top-back of my finger and then adapted that for Shaggy. Any other hand position would be awkward unless I did a lot of other body movement.

My original idea was for Shaggy to do a little finger "twidle" like I did in 2002 and then press the light switch straight on. But doing so with the right hand would be near impossible while standing just inside the room, and I didn't want Shaggy to cross his arm in front of his chest.

The only other alternative I thought up to work while Shaggy remains just one step in the room (a significant need) was to turn his palm toward the switch and press it. But such a move would require an awkward upward-projected elbow.

How would you turn on a switch like this? I'm open to other ideas. Right now, I am my only motion reference.

How would you turn on a switch like this? I'm open to other ideas. Right now, I am my only motion reference.

I flip "standard" switches on with the back of a finger. But there's a difference between a flipping switch and this one, which is a pressing switch. Right now you've got a hybrid motion going on; he's not flipping the switch, he's pressing it (though quickly) but in a way one does not normally apply force to those kinds of switches. What he's doing right now simply would not engage it. (A slap with a knuckle might, now that I think about it. But just a finger movement wouldn't do it.)

If you want that quick motion and want to avoid what you mentioned, why not change the switch to a standard one?

"Suspenseful" is a better word than "ominous" for the feeling I got. Oh, and my speakers were off the first time I saw it. It makes much more sense with the Voyager theme! :D

Right now you've got a hybrid motion going on; he's not flipping the switch, he's pressing it (though quickly) but in a way one does not normally apply force to those kinds of switches. What he's doing right now simply would not engage it. (A slap with a knuckle might, now that I think about it. But just a finger movement wouldn't do it.)

Aah! Excellent point. And your further wisdom:

If you want that quick motion and want to avoid what you mentioned, why not change the switch to a standard one?

I shall. It's funny that this issue comes up, because the only reason I went for this style of switch was because of my plan for the finger "twidle" ("frill"? Whatever) and then a straight push with the index finger. Since I'm not doing that, there is no more reason to have this style switch.

Now I face another issue. I think that a standard switch would be too small for shaggy's finger. Do you think that I should do it to scale anyway, since everything else thus far is to scale? Or should I make the switch just "big enough" (however big that means) for his finger? Or then again, this may not be an issue.

The amazing thing about film is that you can pretty much do what you want and the audience will probably buy it. For instance, you could scale the lightswitch up for the close-up shot but have it regular-size for all subsequent shots. If anyone notices, I'll buy you a beer. (Or whatever you like. I hate beer, personally.) In fact, if you had the shot tight enough, I'd bet you could still do the "press" you wanted to do originally. Think about it. How is the audience to know that Shaggy's center-of-gravity is all messed up or his arm is passing through his belly, if all they can see is his hand? (Unless you're doing an interactive Arctic Pigs animation, of course.)

Oh, as long as we're on the subject of fingers: have you considered capping Shaggy's finger ends? It wouldn't matter, but you're so close to them...

... have you considered capping Shaggy's finger ends?

I think it gives him an interesting appeal. Kind of "what's-up-with-that?" emotion. :)

Actually, I had already capped the fingers in that render, but I forgot the thumbs, which I promptly corrected later. I originally intended to just fix this frame in Photoshop so no one would see it, but oh well.

Daniel,

I saw your numbers on Wegg wood thread. You're using a 4-ray lights with a 16 pass render. That gives a 64 rays per lights which is overkill IMO. If you render in 16 passes, you could reduce your lights to 2 ray cast and still get very acceptable results.