Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

My First Major Animated Sequence

Hi,

I have been using A:M since about August, thereabouts and this is easily the most fun I have ever had with a computer!

I have to say though, I am overwhelmed with all the different things that a single person can do with A:M and all the thousand little things that need to go in to even a simple animation (i.e., lighting, models, perspective, sets, backgrounds, music, sound effects, etc...)

Having said all of that, and after these last few months of trying one thing, only to give up on it and move on to something else new in A:M and then back again... I have FINALLY mangaged to keep myself focused on one project and have put together something longer than one of the exercises in the A:M manual...

The backgrounds were created using the Universe package and a free-ware landscape generator called Genesis.

The model came from www.Animationpitstop.com and the music is of course, all John Williams. I assembled all of it using Vegas Studio.

So...while the hardest work by far was done by the extremely talented people who created the model of the xWing and the people who wrote Universe, and of course, the composer John Williams, I did do a little bit on my own by creating an actual sequence of four separate choreographies and putting them altogher.

Anyway...here's the first "major" animation I've done.

http://www.turbogorilla.com/Quest.mov

Brutally honest feedback is welcomed as there is no better way for me to learn!

Thanks!

Shannon O'Donnell

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Turbo,

Welcome, and thanks for posting this.

Titles too slow.

Needs a perspective type intro like the Star Wars series. If your editing software can't do it, do it in A:M with a decal on a moving flat surface.

Get to know your A:M's particle system. It will help you get some engine flashes when your vehicle changes speed.

If you want your vehicle to move more smoothly through a series of arcs, don't do it with keyframes, put it on a path.

Go man go!

DanRJ

First off, you are a lot farther along than I was a AM+ 4 months. You have completed a bunch of steps and I applaud you for it.

You asked for constructive criticism. Here is mine.

The green sky with green with the green ground in the forth shot was a little hard on the eyes and was almost too bright. The sky sort of blended together with the ground, there was nothing to look at. Tone down the colors and put something interesting in the scene (mountains, building, ships, strange trees).

You are off to a great start. Good luck.

Thanks everyone! Excellent feedback! Very useful to me!

I guess now that I've had a little bit of fun using other people's models and played with putting together some choreographies, that now I'll start working on my modeling skills.

I want to figure out how to build a reusable environment or set so that I don't have to recreate the wheel each time I go to a new chor.

Thanks again!

Congratulations on a great start! Sometimes it's easy to get overwhelmed with every aspect of a production but if you take things one at a time, it's not so bad. You got over the biggest hurdle already by putting this piece together with cuts and music. I hope these comments are helpful:

The ship should (appear to) move quickly past the camera and slower as it gets farther away. Right now it's doing the opposite. If you're going to do shots like that, you have to fight the urge to show off the model by having it linger near the camera. You may want to change up the four similar shots anyway. You could replace the second shot (which is almost a mirror of the 1st) with a side shot - like the ANH: Special Edition when the rebel fleet is preparing to attack the DS with Yavin in the background.

http://www.roadsquadron.com/Reference/ANH/...2Yavin_BY01.jpg

http://www.roadsquadron.com/Reference/ANH/...WYavin_BY02.jpg

It was a gratuitous shot that allowed George to show off the detail in the models. It was impressive but don't be afraid to not show everything all at once. You may also want to have the wings start in the closed position.

Looking forward to more. I love fan flicks.