Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Problem with rotation keys

I'm not sure if this is just something I'm doing wrong, so I thought I'd ask before I submitted it to Hash. I posted it here so that I could attach the sample project.

I have been getting some errors when making a key frame when there's a bone that rotates on the "Z" axis. I put together a project file here that illustrates what I'm encountering.

In "Action1", rotate the "redhalf" bone (it should be the only one visible) on the "Z" axis (the limits are set where it should only move that way anyway), then set a key. If you are getting what I am, the geometry will move when you set the key and it will move a little more if you hit the button to set the key again. It does that for a couple of hits of the button.

In "Action2", select the "rotator" bone (there should be two visible) and rotate it on the "Z" axis (it should only rotate on that axis as well), then set a key. If you are getting what I am, "bone1" will move when you set the key and it will also move more each time you hit the button (at least for a couple of times).

If anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong, I'd appreciate it. I've tried this test in v11t and v11o.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure about action1, but I see what you mean in action2. The second bone also moves even though it's not a child of the one being rotated. It also happens if you do a translate. I think it's to do with the constraint(kinematic) in your pose.

The first action's model has a "roll like" constraint that does this...I forgot to mention that it only does this if the constraint is set to anything less than 100%.

The second action's model is set with a kinematic constraint on "bone1" of 50% to the rotator bone. It also only exhibits this behavior when the constraint is set to less than 100%.

Action1 seems to work the way I would think it would.

Rotate "Z" causes the second (hidden) bone to rotate "Z" at 50% of the amount applied. I used the "rotate manipulator" to do the rotation, to avoid any input errors.

Action2 has a constraint applied to the model in its relationship which changes value over time, I believe if you were to remove the keys which cause the value to change, the issue you see will clear up.

As keys are set by doing the rotation itself, I am confused by your statement about "hitting" the key button repeatedly.

Phil

Where the problem comes in is when you are trying to set a key in an action or choreography not when making the constraint. Everything appears to work fine until I get the model into an action or choreography, then I partially rotate the bone and set a key for the frame...that's the key button I'm talking about. If you set a key on the frame of an action or choreography after partially rotating the bone, the bone being controlled jumps. Then if you keep hitting the button to set the key, it jumps more each time for the next couple of times you hit it.

The first action has a model in it that has a "rotate like" constraint set to 50%, the second action has a kinematic constraint set to 50%, both are driven by the rotation of a bone. If the constraints are set to 100% this problem doesn't occur, anything lower and it does.

I'll have to double-check the kinematic constraint for what you mentioned, maybe I missed something on that.

Edit---The model in the second action didn't have the euler limits on it correctly...it should be fixed now. Here it is again as well.

Please re-read my post. I never said that I did your tests in the constraint relationship(s). Everything I pointed out was done from testing in the actions you provided.

Here for instance, are the keys I mentioned in the second objects constraints relationship. (this is from your latest project version)

set_keys.jpg

And I still don't understand why you are pushing the "force keyframe" button in this case, as the keys are set when you do the rotation itself.

I've posted a modified version of your project with the things I found cleaned up. I DID find it very difficult to set the key values in the relationships properly. I had to delete the existing keys and manually assign the value in spline mode by changing the cp value directly. Otherwise AM was placing the value WAY down the timeline instead of at zero, as you can see in the above image. This is a definite issue.

Modified project

Phil

My ignorance knows no bounds sometimes, I misunderstood. I'll try to work around it...and look a lot harder next time I hit a wall.

Thanks for clearing it up, the problem was giving me fits...and apparently, blinding me.

Sorry to be a bother.

I'll try to work around it...and look a lot harder next time I hit a wall.      Sorry to be a bother.

You were correct in thinking that there is a problem in the program. There's no reason we should have to "work around" it. So I think you should still send it in to Hash to have them look into this offset key setting thats going on.

Another thing I noticed, the option when right clicking the pose for "settings" seems to have departed.

Phil