Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

CARTOONY FORD MUSTANG

OK...I had a glitch that was crashing my render and lost a few days, but here is the Mustang again...added more detail- rear parking lights...wheel decals... this test shows some rigging...wheels turn...steerage etc... I am trying to capture in animation some of the 'overboard-dynamics' that cartoonists have been putting in illustrated cars for years.

GLITCHES: Ms.D's hair goes thru the roof...I'll have to add an interior roof panel with normals facing down and hope the collision detection honors it. Also, at the last minute I thru in some smoke...which has lots of weirdness...Also, the wheels are off the ground at the start...and the sound is just thrown in...

All in all a good test for how quick I set it up last night!

carzoom.mov

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AND--- this is the updated turntable showing progress on the car WITH CrimeBomb in the hood (to be explained later) HOW DID I GET THE CAD GEOMETRY FOR THE CAR INTO A:M? The car geometry was generated by scanning an actual 2004 Ford Mustang. ..so to be fair it is NOT CAD DATA...Half the car is 'taped' into a grid and touched by the scanner at the intersections forming a mesh. The model was then finished in Maya and used by FoMoCo to sell cars in TV adverts. As a test, my friend who works on this project exported the body mesh from Maya as an .OBJ file. which I imported into A:M. Working on the car is very SLOW...A:M chuggs to keep up during opening, copy and pasting, and modelling. BUT on the other hand A:M does quite well with other aspects such as distorting, rigging, actions and render! The frames from the attached movie took an average of 1 min 30sec at D1 res, no multi-pass, not bad for an overnight render. If I turn-ON multipass to 4X4 it is 8.5 min per fr. Not bad for a weekend render.

MsDsSTANG.mov

Hi John...

did you try to reduce number of patches?

i already worked in a imported model, and I got to decrease number of patches for the half, without committing the model.

another question ...

did you use WM ?

Nice work ... i love it ....

Peace

Xtaz

Xtaz- Thanks!

Did I try to reduce the number of patches? No, is that a feature somewhere in A:M or are you saying to go in and reduce them 1 by 1 myself? The Maya guy did a lot of geometry reductions...and on afterthought he may have been able to do even more than he did.

Did I use Weight Mover? No, I bought WM...experimented with it and fell out of favor with it. Even with A:M's weights with the bone falloff feature...I just can't get it to work and have not found enlightening tutorial documentation on it. For my characters I use TSM with fanbones and smartskin.

Just a note, the tires don't seem to have quite the anticipation-action-reaction feeling yet. Maybe if they expand at first, then shrink just a bit starting out, then grow back just a bit at speed...

Thanks for the note Nibbler.

I can benefit a lot from you and your excellerated sense of the apparent. Perhaps you could post an animation illustrating your art direction. Just keep your keen powers of observation tuned for good- not evil...or we are all doomed!

This is a W.I.P. (work in progress) I share my work with the Forum because I feel I can enlighten future animators and perspective customers of Hash to the powers nested within the latest release. When I begin to post in the showcase section, and I will soon, you may feel free to point your pinky at the screen and point out obvious errors and color clashes all you wish.

Did you see anything positive in the animation?

SORRY. I work with Art-Directors all the time, they grind me up.

Hey,

Exactly, work in progress, meaning not finished, meaning open to rework and improvement. Next time just warn people you don't want negative comments. :huh:

Actually, the positives are more apparent then the negatives, excellent model, great color and particles, and the rest of the action flows.

Nibble-

My apology.

I had a bad night, came in and thought I saw someone 'pissing' on my work. My response WAS overwrought. No hard feelings.

Thanks for your reply. Most people do not take the time, and that is what the 'Forum' is all about...feedback...good and bad.

To tell the truth, this test shows 98% preparation and 2% animation, and the animation ALWAYS needs tweeking, as you noticed.

I literally animated this scene in 20 minutes. My workflow is to rig,rig,rig...and THEN make a test scene at the last minute to see if the rigging works. Render it overnight. I was quite happy with my results here, and thought I would share. In the future I think I'll post only the more 'refined' of my work for everyone's benefit.

THANKS again!

My workflow is to rig,rig,rig...and THEN make a test scene at the last minute...

Personally I think you are just completely obsessed with those huge "air bags" and you take any oppurtunity to watch them jiggle... back and forth... back and forth...

You can pause it and make them jiggle in slow motion....

...back and forth... up and down....

Vernon "Not obsessed with dynamic constraints" Zehr

YES I am obsessed with that aspect, I can admit. As I am in real life! I...am human--- I was modelled that way by MY creator. My characters are ultra-human. When I saw the Dynamic Constraint THAT was the 1st thing I thought of. NOT a penis swingin in the wind! There's a guy on this Forum using A:M to make a naked 'Matt Damon' crouching in a field... nobody mentions the 'obsession' in that... the 'hunter-dynamics' by Joe Williamsen...whats Yves Poissant up to? (making ultra-real naked FEmales.)

Vern- you have a sense of humor...I love it. Your top 10 list the other day had me rolling! But you see a little over-emphasized tittie-jiggle and you revert from David Letterman humor to Jr. HighSchool humor. I only have 1 thing to say:

KEEP IT UP!

Regards!

(Perhaps for the sake of 'political-correctness' I should remember to put a warning on any posts which may contain female anatomy-clothed or not- which may provoke or offend or otherwise draw attention to itself. I recommend others do the same.)

Hee hee...

I love Miss D. I think she is the Bomb! (pun intended). I find her exagerated "proportions" are so over the top they leave the area of offensiveness and come around the other side to.. uh.. unoffensiveness... like that.... sort of...you know like a circle... goes off the scale to the other side of the scale kind of thing...

And Crime Bomb is a perfect male exagerated counter part.... I mean that poor guy must have titanium knee replacements!

Be careful about modeling the "P" word. We don't want a replay of the hippo incident.. ;)

p.s. The Osmands want to talk to you about Miss D's teeth though. Something about "copyright infringement" and "intellectual property rights". Marie didn't have a nose job after all. The gravitational pull of her teeth caused it too shrink into her face like light in a black hole.

Vernon "A little bit country" Zehr