Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

The Cookie-Cut Phenomenon

Hi Hashers

I have to post this cos it is basically driving me nuts, so I thought one of you lovely lot could help me try and figure it out. I have attached an image which is a comp of two separate leaf textures I am working on. Both where created in exactly the same way and applied in the same way. Yet the one on the left has the obvious halos around it's edges the one on the right doesn't.

Why am I getting this? I have tried using alpha channels incorporating anti-aliased edges and non-antialiased edges - both produce the same results. I have used defringe in Photoshop to ensure there are no white pixels on the borders of both set of leaves yet these orrible 'alos won't budge…

Answers on a postcard…

Leaf_Comparison.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does your color (RGB channels) extend beyond the edges of your Alpha Channel? It looks like the Alpha is (every so slightly) larger that your color channels. Try filling in your color channel to match the base color of your leaves.

Quickly thrown together example below-->

post-7-1091996067.jpg

What is happening is the edges in photoshop are anti aliasing, you actually want your edges to be aliased and just let AM correct the aliasing. I beleive there is a tutorial of this somewhere, maybe even in the book that came with AM.

He DID try aliased edges. I've run into this problem before and thought it would be fixed.

What version is this problem occuring in?

I've run into it a lot in 8.5 and no amount of fidgeting with any minor adjustments seems to help sometimes. Some images cookie-cut perfectly and others, seemingly EXACTLY the same as far as the pertinent qualities go, have halos...

Dingo, as Dearmad said I have tried it using aliased and anti-aliased edges without success. For the record I am using AM 10.5r. I think I will try the tips offered by Smudge and KenH.

If I am not mistaken there was a tutorial on anti-aliasing by TinCan but from what I remember he said to do exactly what I have already done/tried. I will have another look at his helpful website.

Thanks folks!

Well Smudge you asked for it :D ! Here's a glimpse. It's not finished yet I have still to get rid of obvious tiles, improve the grass and various other little tweaks before I am happy with it. after all that work on the leaves and they're only in the background god doesn't 3D take up your time… it's worth it though ;)

Pegs_House.jpg

after all that work on the leaves and they're only in the background

Yeah, but if you didn't take the time to set them up right, they'd have stuck out like sore thumbs and made everything else in the pic feel "off". Good work!

• 2 months later...