Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Baby Blues

Hey! This is a first pass of a little short I'm working on. It's my first real animation and I would appreciate any pointers anyone can give. In particular, I'm having difficult with what to do with the hands.

Anyway, let me know what you think. Here's the 900kb file:

Baby Blues

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a 7 month old. When he was first starting to sit up. all he ever did with his hands is pat himself on the leg over and over and over and... you get the point. Even now he still pats things.

That is just a thought. Other than that he tends to hold his hands together and just twist them around against one another interlockinghis fingers and such.

Looks great,

Wade

The following are just my observations, feel free to ignore them.

Looks pretty good, overall, a decently modeled cartoon baby.

Nice anticipation with the eyes. The blinks are well timed.

His eyebrows seem straight, give them some curvature.

I did notice that his head turns seem robotic, perhaps a bit more ease-in/ease-out.

Perhaps a little secondary motion with the hair.

lengthen the inhale/exhale just a little and/or hold the breath for a beat to emphasize the "boredom sigh".

He has a ball to the side, if you stick with the color background that you have, I'd recommend changing the color of the ball to yellow or bright green, something in contrast to make it stand out better.

As far as what to do with his hands, perhaps you could give him something to interact with, like the ball.

Unsure of the direction you want to take with this, try out a few different camera placements and angles, the one you're using is adequate, but it's hard to tell if it would work well once the other items for the scene are in place.

Anyway, good luck with it.

Steve P.

Great tips guys! I'm incorporating them as I speak......

This is just going to be a simple animation with the baby and the ball. The ball is the same colour because that's why the baby hasn't seen it yet.....but he will accidentally. :)

I'll have to brush up on how to do the ease in and out now!

I've got it up to 14 seconds! Man animation is slow :) Please download it and see the changes. I think you might be amused by it.....I am and I made it :D Obviously, it will all eventually look like the image above.

It's ballooned to 4 MB :angry: I don't know how...I thought quicktime was compressed.

Baby Blues

I really like your model..he's cute. It looks like the animation is building in the right way. One crit about textures it looks like he has 2 blue streaks above his eyebrows and the top of the hat appears to have flesh mat on it. Don't know if I'm just seeing things :D

I'm no animator, but you might want to try twisting his ankles when he shifts his weight, and or and a touch of secondary motion to his legs.

my 2cents

Looks like it will be a fun piece!