Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think bump maps are up to the challenge of simulating such sharp edged features as treads. At least not at an arm's length inspection. However they do work well for the softer sidewall details.

Tread pics

I've found that the problem with modeling treads with splines is you can't make the sinusoidal edges of the tread edge too sharp (by reducing magnitude) because then the overall curved shape of the tire surface starts to break down into individual facets. After a few weeks of experimentation, the fairly smooth treads shown in the above example were my compromise solution. There is still some creasing but I find it tolerable.

As shown in the third example image, I also tried to model the style of tread that has individual, interlocking tread grippers that I found on an adandoned tire in the nearby woods. It avoided the facetting problem but the tire model alone was 2.6Mb. Even I can't justify that level of overkill.

If you're still interested I can send you a chunk of modelled tread and you can play with it yourself.

BTW; I hope the body of your car is made of a new light weight alloy (styrofoam? ;) ) because your spokes look kinda thin to me.

Lol, I have a Mini Cooper S and I don't think that the spokes on my wheels are even that thick.

I think the wheel looks great.

What about displacement maps? I don't have any real knowledge of them, I only know their basic function. I suppose that the edge surface would have to be VERY patch heavy to allow for displacement maps.

Just a thought,

Wade

thanks for the suggestions fella's I might be doing a close up so I need leaning towards geometry.

Bump maps is a good idea for the side walls.

I don't know much about displacements, but I'll look into it

R_Reynolds: Nice treads!!!

here is my blueprint for the rim

after seeing the blueprint, any crits are welcome.

post-7-1085607449.jpg

Wow, that stuff is really dated, but it might work.

What he is wanting is a rather complex tread shape for a trendy and costly tire. I saw some of these tires the other day when I was getting mine rotated.

BTW! Really nice rim. I bet the car using them is going to be a smash too!

To get the right effect, you are going to need a spline model.

I can see why you would not want to model all those treads.

But I don't see why you would have to.

Can't you model, say, 1/16 of that tire an then just copy and paste them together.

Then connect the backs of them with a single slpine. Like a single spline inner tube?

Jack

I thought about doing another tutorial, but it just seems like a drag. Here's the results. A slightly worn out tire. I don't think it would pass a safety inspection though. <_<

The model is in the next message attachment.

post-7-1085711022.jpg

wow thanks for all the help, after trying to model the treads last night I am going to use a bump. I need to finish the car soon and a bump is faster.

so thanks for all the help fellas and I'll post the finished product soon.

well hopefully soon

Iham Wrong: nice job on those treads.