Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

v11 hair for lashes & brows

This is a test to see how v11 hair could be used for eyebrows and eyelashes. The result is conclusive. I'm pleased with the results. What do you think? I'm not quite completed with the eyebrows though. I spent most of my time on the eyelashes.

Gene_Lashes_1.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The lashes are realistic! The positioning along the edge of the lids looks random enough. The curl/curve of them seems quite even along the groups though. But that is not such a critical "need" so that they "look" real, unless someone was planning a very intense closeup shot of the eye area.

... I know you didn't have time to mess with the brows too much, but a hint so far looks like the direction and shape are great. Length you haven't got'tn to yet so I'll leave that alone.

What does the map image for the hair look like, assuming you used one (or more)... if not which, if any, grooming tool(s) did you use for which aspect of control?

I have many more questions, but that's enough for now I guess.

Guest mrsl13

Looks really good to me......I've just got V11 this past week and look forward to messin with hair....I really love the new user interface so much easyer to work in than past AM..

Mike

The skin: It is a complex combination of color, bump, specular size / intensity maps. I used several photography for reference and even picked direct from the photography for spots. Basically, I used a process similar to the tutorial recently posted by nerrazzi 2 days ago but I use different operation for skin texture. I took care in painting the wrinkles by referencing photos. I did that with Photoshop but I plan to rework the bump map with Painter because there are more tools for making believable skin pores textures.

The brows: I've got the general hair orientation right but it still need more tweaking. I didn't use a map but instead a set of independent patches placed right behind the head patches.

The lashes: I did place the hair in a strip of patches bordering the eyelid. I didn't use any maps. I didn't use the brush to groom the hair but instead I groomed the hair manually by positionning the hair CPs. The lashes hair could be tweaked some more. In particular, I could probably vary the thickness along the length to make then thinner on the tip but thicker on the base. This would make them look more like individual hair and less like a fuzzy feather.

Thank for the comments. I shall tweak some more.

And a face view.

I've spent some time trying to do something on the lips with the glossy shader but I would need a map to control the merge with the rest of the skin. Otherwise, there is a too sharp discontinuity between the skin specularity and the lips's so I dropped the idea. But I did use the glossy shader on the eye and on the caruncules. I plan to try to use the glossy shader some more in the eye area where the lids meet the eyes.

But in the same vein, the next thing I want to paly with are v11 hairs for the hairs. I mean the hairs on the scalp. Should be fun.

Also note that the maps all stops about half way through the head just before the ears.

Gene_Lashes_0.jpg

WooHoo! No more cookie cutter eyelashes and decaled eyebrows!

I was wondering if anyone would attempt "real" hair on the lashes. This is really exciting.

Now to see if they really work, you need to set up a dust/particle emitter aimed at her face. Have her blink a few times to see if the lashes will prevent the dust from getting into her eyes...

Have I gone to far on the realism with that?

Vernon "YeeHaa!" Zehr

I don't know Vern,

It would take quite a while to render that out don't ya' think? The cookie-cutter ones are better at blocking the dust particles, they are just like windshields... so actually it wouldn't matter if the normals are facing the wrong way.

Very nice job Yves, they look real enough to me, to be able to block any dust.

RJ