Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Odd Bird

Hey everyone. I'm posting this thingie for the heck of it. This has been my diversion on and off for a bit. Very much a WIP and i pretty much know where I'm going with it but as always I'd love to hear what anyone thinks.

Cheers.

Doug

OddBirdA.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Hey all -

Here's an update. I'll be focusing more on this fella as I've decided that my other short idea was way over my head for the time being (dialog heavy plot).

Anyhow, this was modeled in A:M, exported to another program and rendered there. The remaining elements of the short will def be modeled in A:M, and I'm still unsure about the workflow for the rest.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Doug

OddBirdF.jpg

modernhorse - I like the simple look he has..... I just think his eyes could use a bit of tweaking, they seem to end abruptly where they meet the eyeball........ I look forward to more updates.....

keep up the good work....

Continuing ... This is all A:M. Finally rigged up this fella and posed him to check the rig. He deforms badly at the thighs (in back towards the butt). Unsure why but here he is. Thanks for any thoughts. Oh yes, just remembered he has no eyes in this render.

Doug

*note - this render sux. I turned up multipass for maximum a-aliasing and it looked swell, but when I converted it to jpeg ...yuck. Anyone have any suggestions on that? I used Irfanview.

OddBirdE.jpg

Hmm.. He's a bit specular in A:M v.s. the other app you made the previous renders in. Looks like you need to use a softer type of material such as a combiner gradient with a falloff setting around 30% to 40%. I'd also spend a little time explorering lighting setups. 6 bulb area lamps can do a lot for a simple scene shot.

The JPG you posted is rather small. If you want it less chunky you will need to post a larger format and reduce the compression a tad.

He's a bit specular in A:M v.s. the other app you made the previous renders in. Looks like you need to use a softer type of material such as a combiner gradient with a falloff setting around 30% to 40%.

Hey Frank,

Yes, you're right. Material / texture wise he's alot different right now. I haven't spent the amount of time in A:M getting that to look the way I want. I was mainly posting it for the pose.

And I'm not as good with lighting in A:M yet either as you noted. :P

I'm on it. Thanks for your comments. I'll try and post a better render later today(if work allows).

Cya,

Doug

I would check the constraints pose you have.

there might be data hidden in their that is fowling everything up.

ie... you might have hidden the bones in the modelling window, but in the pose window you tested hidding it and turning it back on. that data is in the pose now.

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

You last render looks much better. Any idea of what is causing the strong color banding?

I'm going to assume this is an grab from an action view. Are you are doing the rigging yourself or importing a rig into the model?

A few guesses:

To me it looks like the knee pointers are crossed over to the opposite side. It is also possible for one of the leg role handles to be pointing the wrong way.

Some constraint systems developed in previous a:m versions don't convert well. It's a common problem were you have IK-FK or rigid systems. To fix these orient_like with compensation errors you have to delete the old constraint and re-apply it accordingly.

For the bones showing, you will need to go through the action's bone list and remove the key that either hides or shows the bone. As with poses, bone shown/hidden properties can be selectively over-ridden.

Hope that help. ;)

Very helpful responses gents. Thank you.

Any idea of what is causing the strong color banding?
Nope. I'm so new to all this. Perhaps it occurs when converting to jpeg?

I'll investigate all suggestions and respond when I figure it all out. Thanks again.

Doug