Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

To upgrade or not?

Hi, another question for you. I've been using the 2005 XP version of AM since well ..... 2005 lol. It's treated me well and I really have no complaints about it ... other then the typical slow rendering and not being able to use it on a new computer. The question is whether I should buy the newest version?  I looked at the Hash website and the program looks basically the same. Are there enough upgrades and improvements to make it worth it for a casual user? I'm kind of cheap and don't want to buy it unless it's really worth it 🤔. Also, are the models I've created with my 2005 version compatible with the newest version or would I have issues? 

Thanks in advance for your help. 

• Hash Fellow

Hi Dan,

Here is a list of new features in v16-v19. I dont' have a list that goes back all the way to v12 (you're probably on v12 or 13?)

https://forums.hash.com/topic/50199-v19-v18-v17-new-features-and-enhancements/

The interface has remained the same all these years. That is good.

To use the modern versions you will need Windows 7 or later, preferably 10 or later.

The modern versions are subscriptions... you pay $79 each year. Your sub will let you run any version from v15 to v19

Models and otherwise you have made in your 2005 version should load and work in modern versions. Work you do in modern versions will not go back to a 2005 version.

Modern versions are written to make much better use of modern CPUs (faster rendering) and also include NetRender so that multi-core CPUs can be easily exploited.

• Like 1

• Hash Fellow

You've certainly gotten mileage out of that computer!

I think you'd enjoy a more recent computer with with dramatically faster CPU but until you make that leap you pretty much have to stay with v12 since the modern version won't run on Windows XP

Well I can't get V12 to run on my regular computer, it will only run on an old XP one. Kind of why I would like to upgrade to the new version ... just not sure I wanna spend the money 🤔 .... another question .... I can't seem to find where to add a PFP .... is it hiding somewhere on me?