Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Preview render freeze work-around

• Hash Fellow

Short version: Use Windows 8 compatibility settings.

Longer version: Sometime after I upgraded to a Windows 10 computer a few years ago I noticed that A:M would often freeze during on-screen preview renders. Other A:M users have mentioned this to me also.

I could start an on-screen render, either a regular or progressive render, and if it took more than 5 seconds to complete the time counter in the corner would freeze, the progress bar would stop moving and A:M might even gray out and become "not responding" . If I waited as long as the render would have taken to finish, A:M might return, maybe with a finished render, maybe not, but ESC-aping out of the long render wouldn't work.

If you are on Windows 10 you can make this happen yourself by loading a long-rendering scene, such as the Teapots Benchmark, then clicking outside of A:M, then returning to do an on-screen preview render.

A curious clue is that the red Close gadget at the upper right corner of A:M would turn red at the start of these freezes. It is as if some unseen event is causing the freeze.

Since then I have found that I can avoid these freezes by setting A:M to use Windows 8 "compatibility" settings.

On your C Drive got to your Program Files>Hash Inc>v19.0 folder and RMB on Master_64.exe and choose Properties.

Make this setting...

image.png

Steffen is aware of this bug and is working on it.

Until a fix is found... compatibility settings!

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow
3 hours ago, R Reynolds said:

Do I still need to run v19.5a in Compatibility mode?

I forgot I had this on.

I have cautiously unchecked the compatibility mode option and was still able to do a progressive render that ran more than 5 seconds.

AFAIK, Steffen hasn't addressed this so it may be yet another change in Windows.

Steffen has this listed as "Assigned" although not "Resolved" so it is possible he did something to make this change.

However, since v19 seems not to need the compatibility mode now either, it may be a Windows change.

Interesting.

Try unchecking compatibility mode. If you get good results, it's probably safe.

If not...?