Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

How to find clients for animations?

carterturner

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

Finding paying clients is a difficult thing!

On the occasions when I've been hired for an animation job it's been by someone who knew me from a previous job we both worked at or knew me from school or knew someone who knew me from those situations.

THAT is the million-dollar question. Any animation job-shop I've ever worked with has had salespeople with connections and can generate leads. They drove the nice cars while animators drove beaters. Online, you can try services that connect people who need work done with people who can do the work... like Elance dot com. My experience is that for every legit job there are 100 animators bidding on it, and there are talented teams in India that underbid everyone every time... and end-up doing a full TV commercial for $100 on low-end systems running warez software.

I suppose our business has become like singing or acting.

Need to toss a demo reel of your work and solicit agencies and other companies that require animation. Even tech companies may need animations for product demos or presentations. You will also need to get some pricing together for your services.

Next plan on the hard road of no response and the sweet sound of crickets until someone clicks then build on that.

It takes time to build a reputation and a portfolio.

Take criticism wisely, use that for your benefit to better your craft. Complements don't push you to do better.