sprockets Making and Using Drop-On Poses TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Need an AM user with a 3D printer

Roger

• *A:M User*

Anyone out there have a 3D printer that would be willing to collaborate on a custom tablet case with me?

Lenovo doesn't apparently give a rat's rear-end about their customers, and sells a case which doesn't match the ports on the actual Helix tablet.

My idea is to model up a replacement case for it, with proper port locations (power, camera, etc) and then print the thing out.

Or, if this isn't something someone would be interested in helping with, would Shapeways be able to print a rectangular model roughly 11.6" diagonal by 1/2" high? I'd like to keep the cost under $75 if possible.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the most interestin g part is, which material you are having in mind and which size it really needs to be.

shapeways will be able to print stuff like that of course but for a home printer the size is really important.

i have a 3d printer but I am in germany and like that I am not sure if this makes sense especially since you very likely need to test and change your case again a little.

*Fuchur*

• *A:M User*

the most interestin g part is, which material you are having in mind and which size it really needs to be.

shapeways will be able to print stuff like that of course but for a home printer the size is really important.

i have a 3d printer but I am in germany and like that I am not sure if this makes sense especially since you very likely need to test and change your case again a little.

*Fuchur*

I would of course compensate you (or whoever ) for materials used but being in Germany I think that would negate any savings what with international shipping and all. Not to mention if it had to be redone for a better fit, as you said. Perhaps I can make do with modifying the existing case I have to at least allow proper access to the charging port.

I have a small sla unit here. I use it for patterns and prototypes but not sure what you need for durability. SLA printers use acrylate resins (in the acrylic family) and tend to be brittle. They also tend to continue to cure and harden over time unless you paint them with a UV blocker. There is a flexible and tough resin for my machine but I typically only stock the clear no frills most reliable.

I charge $.75 per cm3

There is a flexible resin for my printer. You could asks one of the users on the Formlabs forums and see what they would charge.

I used to use Shapeways and their quality of prints vary depending on who's printing it, often the quality was too low for my purposes and turn round was too slow for me to use in a production environment.

Majority of the print shops out there are either ridiculous in price and/or peckerheads to deal with.

one other spot to shop around is 3D Hubs.