sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Keith Osborn's New Book

Rodney

• Admin

Shhhhh... keep this on the lowdown.

Recently I was plugging Don Bluth's effort to get his traditional animation project off the ground and this relates to that in a way.

How?

Way back when, at Don's Masterclass one of the attendees was Keith Osborn who near the end of the course showed me a few secrets of a then hush hush project; Warner Bros Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote when they were first making the move to CG. The highlight of the animation was Keith's work with smears, duplicate limbs, etc. which were all pretty hard to do in most software in that timeframe.

Well, seeing ample opportunity to spread the word on his approach and technique, Keith has published a book titled, 'Cartoon Character Animation with Maya' that covers his approach to cartoony action with an emphasis on those special effects most prevalent in highly exaggerated animation.

So here's the hush hush that you can't tell anybody else... No, it's not that the books software of choice is Maya... that's pretty clear from the hugely gianormous text stating MAYA on the cover... it's that the publisher has posted some very useful resources to accompany the book to include some very nice video tutorials. Of course, these resources are specifically intended for those that purchase the book so if you find the material to your liking I'm sure Keith will appreciate a purchase, review, feedback or some token of appreciation.

But... Shhhh... you didn't hear none o' this from me! :ninja:

LINK

Look for the Resources tab for the videos, etc.

Disclaimer: I have not yet purchased the book so I cannot say how useful the text is outside of Maya specific workflows. Some of the more technical aspects are sure to be quick page turners for A:M users. However, most books of this type try to cover a broad enough range to satisfy users of any software and workflows can be adapted as needed. So if you are in the need of some tips for cartoony computer character animation this book might be just what your animation needs.

If anyone has the book please let us know how useful you find the information contained therein and should I purchase I will do the same.

The videos I have viewed thus far have been very well presented and are well worth your time and attention.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did a few panels of Errol Flemm falling in The Wannabe Pirates and I liked the idea of his arms flailing as he fell. I seem to recall that to accomplish it, I would create a duplicate model, hide everything except the arms and then place multiple copies of it in the exact same place in the cho.

2010-10-13.jpg

Of course, that would be a lot of work in something that's animated, but it could be done.

I may have to save up my pennies for this.

• Admin

Nice. I remember that episode Mark! (I miss those Wannabe Pirates!)

I had forgotten about the specific special effects you used of course which is a good thing. Everything to the aid of telling the story. :)

I would create a duplicate model, hide everything except the arms and then place multiple copies of it in the exact same place in the cho.

I recall that as one of the techniques Keith used for the Roadrunner and Coyote although I think he use a variety of techniques.

Hiding parts of a model is sure to be easier than creating a new model (for each arm and leg) from scratch and the rigging it with special setup.

Although, I'm guessing a simple arm or leg wouldn't be too hard to setup... duplicate... scale to opposite side etc.