Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Cookie Cut sequence

I've encountered a similar problem before and my apologies for asking again.

I'm trying a technique whereby I draw with oil pastels on clear plastic, photograph it and import into AM for use as a Cookie Cut decal.

I made a little run sequence, converted it to png files with a background in each frame of pure white ( 255,255,255 ) applied that sequence to a flat with the white selected as the key colour.

The first frame was as expected

Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 20.47.25.png

The second came out solid rather than cut

Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 20.47.53.png

I will go back tomorrow and convert them to alpha backgrounds but, in the meantime, can anyone kindly suggest what the problem might be ?

regards

simon

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will go back tomorrow and convert them to alpha backgrounds but, in the meantime, can anyone kindly suggest what the problem might be ?

regards

simon

definitely use alpha channels - and perhaps to be safe - it probably would work better generating a tga sequence, rather than a png sequence

Pngs are handled funny (something flakey with PS and A:M), and using key colors where white is not always pure white, is not as trusty as alphas.

the other option is to generate a black & white sequence from your already existing pngs, and use that new sequence as transparency type in the same decal container as your original sequence (now changed to color type). For transparency type, Black = totally transparent, and white = totally opaque. Acts essentially the same as an alpha channel. Important: Your original sequence would now be a color type, NOT a cookie cut.

However, not sure how well A:M reliably handles when there are 2 sequences to retrieve simultaneously (color and transparency) - but theoretically it should be able to.