• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow

Yes!

In the Chor turn on "Show more than Drivers" :hidemore: for that model

That will expose the "Decals" folder and you can navigate down to the Percent property which can be keyed over time.

Welcome to A:M!

BumpPercent.JPG

Thank you Robert, that works perfectly! I'm just getting started, and only as a hobby, but so far A:M rocks. I tried it years ago and bailed because the documentation was next to worthless, unfortunately. This time I bought David Rogers book, and it's making much more sense. Very impressive.

Chris

• Admin

There is an old saying, "If it's not documented it didn't happen.' There is something of a problem with documentation in that once a process is documented folks tend to follow that path to the exclusion of other paths. This may even include better paths. Complicate this with the fact that paths do change and (hopefully) improve and you've got folks following the old paths and even discouraging others from following the new.

A very minor case in point is the old (Shift click of the Lathe icon).

In the distant past Shift Clicking the lathe icon would bring up the Tools/Options panel to allow setting the number of lathe sections.

Several releases ago this changed to Control Clicking the Lathe icon and I found that old habits die hard as I still occasionally find myself Shift Clicking that icon.

It's a better thing for the command to be Control Click because that mirrors other similar functions but I cringe at the thought of how many times I know I typed out the instructions here in the forum to others to Shift Click that icon. If they Shift Click now will they only see that I'm wrong and wonder why I'm such a blundering blithering idiot for getting it wrong in that documentation?

Ah, the price of progress. :)

Robert hits the nail on the head when he says you've found the right place to ask questions.

This forum will not only answer your questions but more often than not we'll whip up tailored documentation (video tutorials even) to address the issue at hand. :)

Robert and Rodney, I love that this forum exists and that folks are so eager to jump to the aid of struggling newbies, such as myself, but I refuse to believe that a better set of basic documentation wouldn't get people off to a quicker and better start. The technical reference manual is so oddly designed that it's nearly impossible, at least for a beginner, to figure anything out. At least group the reference by category: modeling, texturing, animating, rendering. Something that puts like with like. I can't even fathom what the organizational strategy is in that guide. David Rogers' book is wonderful; it's gotten me started in a way that I never would have with the included documentation. Perhaps Hash could license his book and include it with future purchases?

Having said that, now that I'm getting my head slowly around this software, I'm definitely becoming excited by it. I'm a television and motion picture editor by day, and an aspiring 3D storyteller at night. :)

I'm off to experiment with cloth simulation now. ;)

Chris Conlee

Editor

The Flash

• Admin

I hear you.

Better documentation is always going to be welcome.

The best method to get up and running quickly is to run through the exercises from The Art of Animation:Master which I assume you are already digging in to right now.

While it just scratches the surface in many ways I've yet to see anyone that has ran through all those exercise that hasn't gone on to greater success.

That foundation of basic exercises will serve you well and if nothing else help to formulate questions.

'm off to experiment with cloth simulation now. ;)

Have fun with that!

(Note that the current Simcloth is much more powerful than the previous one when David's book was published).