Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Tuck

Guest jandals

Guest jandals

I started this character a month or so ago but quit working on him when I bought a G5. It seems AM and OS X 10.3 have a conflict that prevents me from rendering in a window. Maybe I had multipass off... that caused issues a while ago.

Whatever, I started working on him again the other day and gave him a hand, arm and hair.

The hair is controlled by a decal (which needs some refining) and I should model him a proper ear and shoes. There's about 10 minutes of work in the hair so I'll at least post some more images as that part comes along.

post-7-1080088105.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mrsl13

The hair is comming along nicely......he reminds me of my neighbor.....except for the missing arm....smile.....keep up the good work..

Mike

Guest jandals

Thanks for the comments, guys. I wanted to make this guy kind of gnomish or hobbit-like so I'm glad that's what came across. I think giving a character broader features than normal (wide face, belly, etc...) is a big part of it.

Anyway here's a movie of the knee joints. The right knee is a cog controlled by orient-like constraints and the left knee is a cog driven by SmartSkin. The SmartSkin knee is a little more cumbersome to set up, but it makes it easy to coordinate bone and muscle movements. That makes it easier to compensate for less-than-perfect modelling.

Here's the movie. 425 kb, Sorenson 3

http://homepage.mac.com/mordredc/hash/movies/tuck_knee.mov

Guest jandals

Here's an image of the study corner of Tuck's house. It's also part of the kitchen.

Some notes about it. I think the desk looks too heavy. I want it to seem like it was made for someone slightly larger than he is but it's not quite right. As for the character, there's obviously too much specularity and his eyes kinda freak me out. Funny thing about the eyes, I thought they weren't rendering at all or were just showing up black but it's actually the ToonNation eyeball plugin with some weird scaling.

Here's the image. Development on this scene is slow because the only way for me to see what hair/materials/decals look like when applied is to render-to-file and that's pretty cumbersome for small changes.

Cheers,

Rhett

post-7-1080975026.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jandals

Here's an update. I put cog/fan bones in his left shoulder and hip. All the cogs are driven by smartskins. So far, I like this way of rigging the joints; Between the bones and muscle motion there's a lot of control over the surface.

Rhett

post-7-1082359342.jpg