Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Shotgun - Another one bites the dust

Rodney

• Admin

Project management for multimedia production has been a growing area of interest for many years so it comes as no surprise that Shotgun is positioned in an important niche. I've watched Shotgun since it's initial press release and made note of their quality and the potential to go far.

The news was just released that project management software company Shotgun is 'joining' Autodesk. I take this to mean the company is being purchased.

This is good news in that it should help bring project management for video production to the fore for many more projects. The cautionary note being that it becomes all the more likely that Shotgun will be at least as proprietary as before and likely more so. In the announcement Shotgun head Don Parker outlines how they set out to find an investor to grow their business but in courting Autodesk discovered a mutually advantageous acquisition instead.

This move should embolden other project management companies to move forward to fill gaps created and the move should open the way for more service oriented open source programs to press more deeply into the realm of video production. Of note however, none currently operate as smoothly or as thoroughly as Shotgun.

From the last part of the official announcement:

I’m a member of this industry and community, and I can understand any concerns you may have. I simply ask that you give us the benefit of the doubt today and wait to see what we deliver. Judge us by the first 100 days and the rest of the year. We plan to show you that this is a very, very good thing.

I take direct responsibility for making sure this is a huge success in your eyes. Please hold me to that.

Call or email me directly anytime, with any questions or concerns.

Cheers,

Don and the Shotgunners

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been (slowly) writing my own in .net. Largely since I'm a cheep bastoid and refuse to pay anyone for something that I can create myself. Only downside is that the project often takes a back seat to realy paying work.