Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Normals in v18d

markw

Sorry posting this reply here as I'm unable to make a post in the v18d thread :huh:

So thanks for the sample model Robert.

Closer inspection shows that v18d is NOT randomly flipping normals, but it IS making things see-through?! :blink:

In the screenshot here of your test model you can clearly see that the yellow pointers are all still facing outward as they should.

Note, this screenshot was taken with 'Show back facing ploys' ON, so even if there were any flipped normals the model still should have looked solid.

Incidentally whilst trying to get that screenshot A:M crash yet again. v17g is starting to look to me like the most stable Mac version.

Screen_Shot_2014_04_01_at_10.52.12.png

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have some problems with 18d (on Windows) as well, that might relate to yours, Mark.

Firstly: 18d 64bit crashes my computer so bad that it need to be unplugged to restart. This happens almost all the time. Seems like an issue with my graphics card (NVidia). Happens even when resizing windows inside A:M. Shifting from OpenGL3 to OpenGL makes it marginally more stable, but still unusable.

I am able to run the 32bit version without crashing, but there are some other problems (in both 32 and 64 bit):

1: layers in a scene are drawn IN FRONT of any object, unless in skeletal mode.

2: Some times there are strange AND/OR type discolorations of marker lines (lights, bones etc.)

3. Using the new bones stick mode (GREAT by the way!), bones are still drawn as before, when seen in some angles.

As I am working intensively on four projects right now, I do not have time to experimenting to much, so I have gone back to version 18B, and I haven't had the time to make an official bug report. But maybe the description here can help to hint at which area of code that causes these bugs.

Oh, and so nice to have got the ability to select teh standard interpolation mode! Excellent!

• Hash Fellow
Closer inspection shows that v18d is NOT randomly flipping normals, but it IS making things see-through?! :blink:

In the screenshot here of your test model you can clearly see that the yellow pointers are all still facing outward as they should.

Just to try... any or all of these

-Options>Global switch the real-time driver. (may need restart)

-Options>OpenGL switch "inverse sort order" (may need restart)

-do Reset All Settings (will need restart)

If those don't help then a bug report is in order.

Until that can be fixed revert to the last version that worked appropriately.

Sadly I had already tried your suggestions too Robert. No dice :(

I see Tore is using an Nvidia graphics card and I have a horrible feeling this is going to turn out to be another Nvidia related problem.

• Hash Fellow
None of your 3 suggestions - in any combination or order - have any impact...at least for me. :-/

I think yours are clearly new bugs and when you have time make a report on them.

And the problem is that Steffen doesn't have a Mac with an NVidia card? that will make it harder.

Is there a previous version of A:M that works correctly in these things?

Yes that's right.

As far as I am aware all Macs have NVidia cards except the Mac Pro work station type. The old Mac Pro had ATI cards I think and the new one has AMD FirePros.

Past A:Ms all have different bugs to contend with, I don't think there is a perfect version! ;) But v17g at least displays geometry correctly.