Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

New tutorial vids on splash screen

Roger

• *A:M User*

Rob,

Just watched the rigging basics video and have to admit you make it look so easy. Was there a reason you chose to use a fan bone instead of a smart skin for the knee joint?

Also, if you were rigging Thom's torso, how many bones would you use for the spine? Would you use 2, 3 or more? I'm curious because it seems kind of arbitrary and I noticed that TSM seems to add a lot of spine bones, and I've seen other people using a lot of bones for the spine.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow
Just watched the rigging basics video and have to admit you make it look so easy.

It's easy once you know how. :)

Was there a reason you chose to use a fan bone instead of a smart skin for the knee joint?

I regard a fan bone as easier than smart skin and the knee was a case where the fan bone could serve the needs of the joint

Also, if you were rigging Thom's torso, how many bones would you use for the spine? Would you use 2, 3 or more? I'm curious because it seems kind of arbitrary and I noticed that TSM seems to add a lot of spine bones, and I've seen other people using a lot of bones for the spine.

I suppose the minimum would be two, the hip bone and a back bone, with spline rings progressively weighted between one to the other.

The max would be one bone for each spline ring.

TSM2 always uses 5 but you don't necessarily need to weight something to every bone.

• Hash Fellow

I'll also note that in TSM2 you don't need to have all spine bones the same size. You could make the top one large to simulate the rigid rib cage of the upper torso and use the ones in the middle for the flexible waist area.

• *A:M User*
Just watched the rigging basics video and have to admit you make it look so easy.

It's easy once you know how. :)

Maybe I'll practice rigging Tom before I try doing my dragon character. Is there a big difference when the character has oddly shaped legs?

Thom has legs that go straight down but my dragon has really thick upper legs that kinda go out at an angle.

• Hash Fellow
Maybe I'll practice rigging Tom before I try doing my dragon character. Is there a big difference when the character has oddly shaped legs?

Thom has legs that go straight down but my dragon has really thick upper legs that kinda go out at an angle.

First you figure out where the joints are supposed to be and you put the bones there.

Then you figure out how the mesh should bend across that joint. That's what the CP weighting or the fan-boning or the smart skinning is for.

If you choose these things wisely, it's easy.