Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Lessons In Bias

Here's a little project I thought would be fun to knock out but which soon turn into a lesson on the proper use of the Bias controls for the logo's flames.

I definately feel like I learned how to control/unerstand them a little better because of this.

post-7-1079760042.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Admin

Please go on... you have my interest.

A lot of folks are afraid to adjust Bias based on thier experience and potential problems with animating with them in previous versions of A:M .

Now that Bias can be adjusted without the hit in productivity/render time this is an area more than a few might want to explore.

Say on my good sir... say on...

*BTW - Nice logo!

Rodney,

The reason people don't use them is not because of a bug while animating. It means that while animating you will ahve to be constantly adjusting the bias. So... Oooh, I don't know how to explain this. The rule of the thumb is that if you've got a part of the model thats got to deform in animation then you shouldn't use bias on it. It will just pop and crap.

For this type of thing biases are perfect great job. The render looks good (except for the default ground plane and lighting).

• Admin

Zach,

That's suppose to be old news since v11! Honest.

Unless misinformed, we can adjust bias to our hearts content.

Added: NO MORE POPPING!

There's a thread with pictures and everything. Anyone remember where we put it...

If you re-read my post with that understanding it'll make a lot more sense. ;)

(Since I never adjusted any biases I have no paradigm to shift)

• Admin

Found the thread. Lots of junk in the thread by some guy named Rodney but the gem is at the end.

Bill Young retains his guru status and demontrates the improvements in bias adjustment: Bias Adjustment then and now

For people that don't want to go link chasing here's what Bill said:

Here are some links to show how bias handles use to work and how they now work so people can see that there is no longer a need to fear bias handle popping.

Simple bias handle Popping that would happen in old versions of A:M. This example is from Version 9.5:

http://www.rafhashvideotapes.com/lib/rafha...apes/95bias.avi

In version 10.5 and newer the problem no longer exists as can be seen in the following similar example:

http://www.rafhashvideotapes.com/lib/rafha...pes/105bias.avi

And the specific quote we are after:

...there is no longer a need to fear bias handle popping.

OK, maybe I'm a dope but I didn't know that holding down the SHIFT key while adding a point will not effect the other splines. Wow, that would have saved me a lot of hassle.

You know, I should actually read some of the things on this site a little more instead of just glancing at them.

• Admin
You know, I should actually read some of the things on this site a little more instead of just glancing at them.

You and me both, Chris... you and me both.

There is so much (information) I miss every day. I'd love to compile a lot of the stuff that I run across from time to time into another reader friendly form.

Never seem to find the time...

Are any of you out there writer's?

Any people well versed in the art of interviewing?

Product reviewers?

Ad men/women?

Editor?

Publishers?

Fanzine/Ezine contributors?

Website copy writers/maintainers?

I think there may be a need for you.

Show yourselves!

The rule of the thumb is that if you've got a part of the model thats got to deform in animation then you shouldn't use bias on it. It will just pop and crap.

where did you get this information from? (i'm asking since i think you have a:m for about a year)

it doesnt do this anymore for quite some time now.

the new implementation (introduced with 9.5 i think) is much more solid and does not pop anymore. so adjusting bias is great in any situation, since it keeps your spline density lower and your curves smoother.

the new implementation (introduced with 9.5 i think) is much more solid and does not pop anymore. so adjusting bias is great in any situation, since it keeps your spline density lower and your curves smoother.

V10 and above have the new implementation the 2002 versions still exhibit popping (which is why it was covered in the 2002 guide :) )

These days Gamma is not to be feared Huzzah!

-David