Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Bakin' and splashin'

Tore

I’m sitting here wondering about two things that has absoluttely nothing to do with each other…

1. When baking an object in A:M, what is the connection between the figure “Resolution” and the size of the resulting bitmaps. It seems completely arbitrary to me??

2. Did the option to turn off the splash screen make it into v.18? And if so, where is it?

Anybody?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow
I’m sitting here wondering about two things that has absoluttely nothing to do with each other…

1. When baking an object in A:M, what is the connection between the figure “Resolution” and the size of the resulting bitmaps. It seems completely arbitrary to me??

Steffen gave this explanation

2. Did the option to turn off the splash screen make it into v.18? And if so, where is it?

No, I don't think that is on the change list.

Thanks for the reply, Robert! Now I remember to have seen that Texel-explanation once before. And now as then I don't understand a word of it - even after having looked up Texel in Wikipedia.

And here I beleived I was good at math :-/

Do you now if there is a predictable setting to get, say a 2048x2048 texture as a result of a bake?

• Hash Fellow
Do you now if there is a predictable setting to get, say a 2048x2048 texture as a result of a bake?

I think a certain number will produce different results depending on the number of patches and the actual dimensions of the model.

My advice is start with 1, then try .5 or 2 if the result was too large or too small.

I'll note that the baking result isn't always a square, sometimes you will get a rectangle that is twice as long in one dimension as the other. I have resized the rectangle to a square in Photoshop for an app that needed a square and it seemed to work OK.

As far as I know the bake option doesn't create images in the power of 2. If your planning on using the bake tool to cook down textures or do quick uv mapping for game export then you may need to edit the uv sets and images in an external program to make them comply with that game engines requirements.

For anything else other than game export the bake tool is sweet.