Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Space Shuttle Mission Simulator

NancyGormezano

- and Yes - I worked on this from about 1977-1984ish? Not sure what year the video was taken. (after 1981 I would guess)

In particular I worked on the real time software (project lead) that generated the simulated out-the-window imagery for the forward, aft, overhead windows of the shuttle as well as the simulated imagery as seen from the CCTV cameras located on the remote manipulator system (used to place payload objects from the cargo bay into space via remote manipulatur "arms"). In particular I worked on the fixed base and motion based simulators that were used for training the astronauts (landing, navigation and cargo bay missions).

Yes. The imagery is pretty primitive to what we see today - but hey! we were pioneering what is now on your desktops in video games. Around 6:35 you will see some of the landing strip imagery, at around 6:00ish they describe the DIG systems (no laughing allowed) and around 8:00ish you can get a feel for the massive room devoted to the computer systems and special purpose hardware that were involved in controlling/running the whole simulator (including flight, aerodynamics, motion, radar, as well as DIG's, instructor stations, etc) . Equivalent to about 3 PC's today? Nah probably more - hehehe

This was fun and I enjoyed myself then but Oh did this make me feel OLD.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and to know that somehow it all leads to Professor Schmaltzy-Pants.

Yup. Them ol' brain cells have long gone to jello...or...oatmeal...

On another note - the 2 simulators that I worked on (by Singer-Link - the originals) had been dismantled and distributed in 2011 (so Johnl3d - those simulators you saw were probably not the ones I worked on):

the Fixed Base system (2nd system installed) - used for Remote Manipulation system training - ie manipulating payloads in the Cargo bay (using remote controlled arms with grappling devices) when looking out the aft windows & also for training navigation by stars, went to the Adler Planetarium, Chicago, Illinois

And the Motion Base System (1st system installed, used for landing training, navigation) went to Texas A&M, College Station, Texas.

The first image is the Cargo bay as it looked as seen thru the aft windows (circa 1980). 2nd image is a model of the shuttle, although, I can't remember why we ever needed to model the whole thing, as the training did not involve looking at the shuttle. Maybe it was for some other reason. EDIT: Now I remember! the arms which had Closed circuit TV cameras (CCTV) on the ends and they could view all over the shuttle. They used those cameras to inspect for repairs (remember those pesky tiles on the under belly that came loose?)

The 3rd image is the last CG model of the shuttle used - do not know whose DIG (digital image generator) system this was generated by, as NASA probably switched the visual system. Could have been a Link system, tho I doubt it (I left Link in 1991, but left the shuttle project in 1984ish, to work on other DIG system simulators). Could be an Evans & Sutherland DIG system model or a Boeing or a ???.

oldCGcargobay.jpg

oldCGshuttle.jpg

newCGshuttle.jpg

Edited by NancyGormezano

Nancy, You are a hero for me. Always been and ever will be.

Wow. Thank you Yves, that is high complement indeed! You are someone I very much admire, and who's brain cells are still working and have pushed the science and art way above and beyond what I ever was able to do!

1977-1984, those were pioneering days for computer graphics. The only avalilale reference was Newman and Sproul "Principles of Interactive Computer Graphics". A book I was atempting to understand. About everything had to be invented.

Today. I consider myself Lucky. There are many refrences. Many books on all aspects of computer graphics and with the Internet, access to tons of articles, thesis, course note, video of university courses, discussion forums with experts in the domain and excellent open source applications that can be examined. I'm not demeaning what I do and the fun I have doing it. But I consider myselfs Lucky that I can stand on shoulders of giants that were there before me. If not for those giants, I would not be doing what I do and have the fun I have today.

And you, Nancy, are part, somewhere, of this edifice of giants standing on shoulders of giants.

Gratitude.

1977-1984, those were pioneering days for computer graphics. The only avalilale reference was Newman and Sproul "Principles of Interactive Computer Graphics". A book I was atempting to understand. About everything had to be invented.

(just noticed this post - missed it somehow)

Thanks again Yves - "Newman and Sproul" - wow - that takes me back - I still have my copy (1973, first edition, less than good condition) bought in 1978. Sometime back (2011) I had looked it up on Amazon, to see what it would cost today. I'm sure it was a glitch, but made me chuckle. They valued a used/good condition one at $16,292.68 plus $3.95 for shipping! I also still have Theo Pavlidis: "Algorithms for Graphics and Image Processing" (1982).

I think I'll go see what Amazon is charging today.

4bucks.jpg

Edited by NancyGormezano